5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

water in oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 08:58 PM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

Default water in oil

okay so a while ago i was having problems with my car blowing coolant into the catch can and it would over flow then rush out of the cap. i thought i just needed a heavier spring cap so i replaced it and same thing. its like the car was blowing compression into the cooling system.
then it started to have water in the oil, so i took the heads off nad changed the head gaskets, neither of them looked blown at all though.
started the car and same **** with the cooling system, drove it for a while, got on it again, came back checked oil and once again, its letting water into the motor.
its not left over water from before...i cleaned the motor out and changed the oil 3 times before i drove it.

wtf is going on here? cracked head? warped head? i'm soo confused that i'm ready to go buy a set of aluminum heads....
Old 09-20-2006, 10:29 PM
utcruiser

Default RE: water in oil

Sounds like a cracked head or mabey a crack in the water jacket in the block hope not. but hey aluminum heads are worth it anyway. Good luck!
Old 09-20-2006, 10:34 PM
WhiteFoxGT
Resident Ford Troll

run a pressure test and see if it holds. Look for a leak around the lines, if you dont see any, check the lower intake. Could possibly be warped heads.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:45 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Did you replace your gaskets and head bolts when you changed them last? Torque them down right? Did you clean out your threads in the block before you put your heads back on?? I would guess improper torque or a cracked head.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:51 PM
fordboyyfm
2nd Gear Member

i would say the head is either warped or cracked form it overheating.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:18 AM
J 85 GT
2nd Gear Member

everything is torqued properly, i even let the car go through a heat cycle and checked torque again, sequence was correct on everything. is a carb car so no upper/lower just one intake and same as above i torqued, heat cycle and then checked and all good.

block shouldnt be cracked, its a 325 crank hp motor if that.

how can i pressure test the lines?
Old 09-21-2006, 12:58 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: J 85 GT

everything is torqued properly, i even let the car go through a heat cycle and checked torque again, sequence was correct on everything. is a carb car so no upper/lower just one intake and same as above i torqued, heat cycle and then checked and all good.

block shouldnt be cracked, its a 325 crank hp motor if that.

how can i pressure test the lines?
Crank hp is not the only thing that can crack a block.
Temperature cycling, casting quality, possible abuse from a previous owner.

Still it isn't likely that the block is cracked. Most likely the heads are damaged (warped or cracked).

You can find a coolant pressure test kit at most parts stores. Basically you push pressure into the rad. then coolant leaks out all the holes in the system.

At this point, doing a pressure test on the cooling system is kinda reduntant if you ask me. You know coolant is getting into the oil. The pressure test won't tell you where the leak is. However, the pressure test will tell you if there are other external leaks in the system.

I would pull the heads and take them to a shop for a thorough inspection. If you were getting ready for a head upgrade now is the time. It will be pretty priecy to fix a cracked head.

Good Luck to you,
Jason