5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

suspension... im lost

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 11:06 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default RE: suspension... im lost

ORIGINAL: 86/02stang

Sorry about hijacking your thread but I have a question for 4fit? Where is graham NC. I go to school in Danville, Va and was wondering if you knew some people in the area. I see a fox body every now and then but don't see any congregate.
Graham is about 30 minutes east of Greensboro. I'm only about 50 minutes from Danville. You chould come down to Piedmont Dragway outside of Greensboro sometime. I'll be there tonight.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

where can I get directions. I need to make it to a drag strip. I havn't smelled burnt rubber in a while. How far is it from Greensboro.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

By the way, If you want drag and twisties, your going to need adjustables. Those are two different suspension setting. Not supposed to make a hard left while drag racing ya know. Personally, I'm looking at D&D's coilover set up. Give them a look. They have decent prices and alot of people stand by them on here. But like was said before, you need to get some subframe connectors. You don't want to ride on three wheels after a while. It will keep everything straight too. Apparantly torque boxes are a problem area but somebody else could help you with that. I don't even know what they are.
Yes, torque boxes can pose a problem. I've heard of them tearing with street tires, but it's not very common. On hard launches with sticky tires, you can definetely tear them up, especially with aggressive control arms such as Southsides or Megabytes. If your going to change control arms and have subframes welded in, might as well have the torque box reinforcements welded in at the same time.
86/02 stang, the torque boxes are located where the upper and lower control arms attach to the chassis. It is very weak and thin metal. The reinforcements redistribute some of the initial shock of hard launches over a much broader area instead of just on the thin metal.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:12 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

ok. So cut to fit plate metal would be fine to reinforce them, since all they really need is thicker metal to transfer the torque through
Old 09-21-2006, 11:25 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ok. So cut to fit plate metal would be fine to reinforce them, since all they really need is thicker metal to transfer the torque through
Kinda. The good kits are reinforced from teh top side too. Here is an example of a good kit. This one iss quite pricey. They can be had for much cheaper on eBay. http://www.uprproducts.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=243
Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 AM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

where can I get directions. I need to make it to a drag strip. I havn't smelled burnt rubber in a while. How far is it from Greensboro.
About 1 hour from Danville. Click here for directions
Also, check out www.PiedmontDragway.com
Old 09-21-2006, 11:50 AM
86/02stang
3rd Gear Member

About 1 hour from Danville. Click here for directions
Also, check out www.PiedmontDragway.com
Sounds like a plan. My fiance doesn't get off work till 4:30 so it will be around 6:00 getting down there. Will the action going good by then?
Old 09-21-2006, 11:54 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I would also recommend D&D for being on a budget. I am also looking for a suspension that will perform all around (twisties, street and strip). I already have my D&D K member, picking up MM Subframes and MM Panhard Bar on Sunday, and than Im going with D&D A Arms, D&D Front Coil Over, MM Control Arms, and not sure what stuts/shocks yet. Pretty sure Im going Koni's all the way around.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Sounds like a plan. My fiance doesn't get off work till 4:30 so it will be around 6:00 getting down there. Will the action going good by then?
6:00 is when it starts. Gates open at 5 and runs are 6-9. $10 a person to get in and $5 to run as much as you want. It's just a test-n-tune night, but there will be some damn quick cars there. I'm just going to fool around with launching on these damn tires and gears. [:@] I'm so used to street tires that I can't get the hang of these DRs. It will be my first trip to the track with them, so we'll see how it goes. If you decide to come, I'll be the one on the white coupe below. I should be there with a 2001 Cobra and a 2003 10th Anny Cobra, both silver. Might be a green 3000GT around us too.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:24 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

I would also recommend D&D for being on a budget. I am also looking for a suspension that will perform all around (twisties, street and strip). I already have my D&D K member, picking up MM Subframes and MM Panhard Bar on Sunday, and than Im going with D&D A Arms, D&D Front Coil Over, MM Control Arms, and not sure what stuts/shocks yet. Pretty sure Im going Koni's all the way around.
That's a very nice setup you have going there. The MM pieces kinda throw the budget thing out the window though.

Quick Reply: suspension... im lost