5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Door Pins

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:28 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

Default Door Pins

Has anyone changed there door pins bc my cars doors are sagging and making it hard to open the door. I wanted to know how to change them or is it easier to just take it to someone?
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Door Pins

Super easy. All you need is a car jack, friend, and the new pins bushings. Just open the door, and put the jack underneath it. Jack it up a little bit and get your buddy to hold the door. Then just remove the old pins and bushings. (it may take a little wiggling but nothing major). Then insert new bushings and pings and done. My advice is put a little grease on the bushings. If they are copper like the ones I got, the greasing will help them last a little longer.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:51 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

mine wouldn't slide out easily so i had to cut them. might wanna have a recip saw ready...
Old 09-21-2006, 11:23 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

ur both wrong i had another post about this...remove the front wheel and remove/bend out of the way the plastic inner fender piece. Inside the fender there are 3 bolts on a bracket, a lower bracket and an upper bracket. Loosen all the bolts and position the door the way you want it. Then just tighten the bolts and check your work, if all goes well close up the inner fenderwell put the wheel back on and your done. This is good for all foxes. I have horrible saggy doors and my door pins are shot. I just adjusted the door to compensate and i now have a perfect fit. Sure beats taking them damn door pins apart.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:28 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Whiteout -- but it doesn't fix the problem. The bushings get worn out after a few years -- now, when you go to change the bushings & pins, you'll also have to adjust your hinges as your striker probably won't line up. It seems like double work, ultimately.

- Jeff
Old 09-21-2006, 11:34 PM
whiteout 5.0
2nd Gear Member

im all about true parcticalities, your right. because if my bushings went id just do it again until the doors fall off and id just pick em up put em back close the doors, lock em, and dukes of hazard it every time. ima gear head i can care less about luxuries, doors opening and closing are just a luxury i can do without
Old 09-21-2006, 11:38 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

Hahaha...I gotcha! Get out the welder

- Jeff

Edit: Damned Smileys
Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Hawk

Super easy. All you need is a car jack, friend, and the new pins bushings. Just open the door, and put the jack underneath it. Jack it up a little bit and get your buddy to hold the door. Then just remove the old pins and bushings. (it may take a little wiggling but nothing major). Then insert new bushings and pings and done. My advice is put a little grease on the bushings. If they are copper like the ones I got, the greasing will help them last a little longer.
I didnt think it was that hard to do. Well I will do that as soon as Im done with my class and get home then
Old 09-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whiteout 5.0

ur both wrong i had another post about this...remove the front wheel and remove/bend out of the way the plastic inner fender piece. Inside the fender there are 3 bolts on a bracket, a lower bracket and an upper bracket. Loosen all the bolts and position the door the way you want it. Then just tighten the bolts and check your work, if all goes well close up the inner fenderwell put the wheel back on and your done. This is good for all foxes. I have horrible saggy doors and my door pins are shot. I just adjusted the door to compensate and i now have a perfect fit. Sure beats taking them damn door pins apart.
Sorry I didn't realize you were in my drive way when I replaced my door pins. Next time speak up.

And in regards to the door pins. They are so much easier to swap out then taking the front wheel and inner fender.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:46 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i'd have to agree with hawk on this one....

***SCORECARD***

HAWK ------------2
whiteout5.0------1

Quick Reply: Door Pins