5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Is 5.0 a good car for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:40 AM
noob

Default Is 5.0 a good car for me?

Hey all! Im a 17 year old kid who is basically obssesed with mustangs, I've allways been, now it times come to buy a car and basically I can round up about 7000 dollars..... not much but hey! Well anyways at first I wanted to get a 97+ gt but I soon realized that wasnt practical unless it was gonna have 100,000 + miles on it. JUST recently did I look at the 5.0's. I thought they were kinda cool looking at heard they were just as fast if not faster with a few mods. So i started looking and I found that I could prob get a car with about 60,000 miles on it like 1990 or so. But was a little weird cause im not that (car smart) so I had a few questions for all you experts.

First off can I drive one in the winter? I mean of course id stick snow tires on it such but will it be able to drive?

Will it be breaking down on me ALL the time I just had a 1988 benz with 150 thou miles on it but is that a different story?

What did they make back then I know lx sucks and gt is higher then that but is there another type I should keep my eyes open for to buy? Like a cobra or saleen that has a lot of base horse?

What are a few mods I should look for on a car that will SIGNIFICANTLY increase the cars horse cause I know lots of the cars for sale have mods on them allready because people work on them.

Is there anything I should know about the 5.0's before I get one like anything troublesome or bad about them?

Are they gas hogs? Or just like the other newer mustangs? Like whats the mpg Nothing lower then 16

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH ahead of time for your help Just wanted to get informed before I purchase the car and then read these forums so I can upgrade!!!
Old 07-15-2004, 03:50 AM
Mach1
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Is 5.0 a good car for me?

Good luck finding a nice one. Around here almost all 5.0s are modded and beat to hell. Be VERY careful, those cars are more then a decade old. If you can find a nice one i say go for it.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:58 AM
dwhite645
1st Gear Member

No, a 5.0 is not good at all. A 347 stroker is however j/k. The 5-0 is great. I had one, easy to work on, good power, easy to add mods, and lots of torque. You should be able to get a decent 91-93 for about 5K or so if you look hard enough. Check underneath too, look at the rear of the oil pan, transmission and see if the seals are blown. Good indicator it's been run to hell and back a few times. If it will be your first car, go easy on it.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:08 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

definetly go for it man
Old 07-15-2004, 04:18 AM
noob

Anyone know what the gt hatcback does 0-60 in?

and can anyone answer a few of those questions I asked like about winters and such and such
Old 07-15-2004, 04:25 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ummm... not sure , but the lx coupe is faster than the gt believe it or not, the gt has bout 25 more hp but, is much heavier, sorry i couldnt help
Old 07-15-2004, 04:30 AM
noob

the lx has 105 horse power stock ??????
Old 07-15-2004, 05:11 AM
90Mustangfan
I ♥ Acer

You can drive in winter, its just harder with a rear wheel drive car.

normally they dont break down, there pretty realiable.

Here is a break down or the cars starting with slowest(stock) GT convertable, LX convertable, GT Hatchback, LX hatchback, LX notchback, notches are the lightest, believe it or not the GT are the slowest, beacuse they have the body kit on them, which adds 300lbs, (rule of thumb every 100lbs, is 1 tenth on the 1/4mile)so the Gt is 3 tenths slower than the LX.

The best mod on a car is gears, they make a huge differance.

mustang are v-8's, they will suck gas a little, not bad but they are v-8, and who drives a v-8 like a granny anyway.lol.it depends if your a lead foot or not.

all mustang from 87-93 had 225 hp and 300 torque if its a auto, it will have 220.
stock 0-60 for Gt is about 6.5 sec. and 1/4mile in high 14.8-15.0
the LX does 0-60 in 6.2 and 1/4mile in 14.5-14-8
anyway 5.0's are great cars I love them to death there cheap, fun and fast.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:19 AM
OneGearhead
6th Gear Member

what he said. and about the LX being faster than the GT, i can vouch for that. friends stock '90/'91 LX beat my '92 GT by a couple cars.......so, a couple tenths, but, no big deal. i knew he would cuz of the wieght diff............im WAY bigger than he is. and plus my ground effects dont help any either, but, o well. and i had to drive mine in snow this past winter cuz its the only car i have, but, i had no problems. hell, i could actually make it up the driveway better than dad could in his 4wd truck. maybe i can just drive better. haha but, good luck. if you find one and buy it, let us know. you wont be disappointed unless u get a lemon, which would suck. and for mods, gears, short-shifter, full exhaust are just a few to start off with. then, go internals and top of the motor. have fun and good searching
Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 AM
RAWLX
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: noob

What did they make back then I know lx sucks and gt is higher then that but is there another type I should keep my eyes open for to buy?

Ok...It sounds like your main concern is power and you are saying the LX sucks? The LX coupe 5.0 is lighter than the GT with the same powertrain. Therefore it will be a bit quicker. So maybe you could explain what sucks about the LX...

As for gas mileage...You can expect 15mpg around town and 22-23 mpg on the highway driving 70-75 mph with 3.55 gears. Since that is what I have. I think that is taching around 2300-2500 rpm.

Quick Reply: Is 5.0 a good car for me?