5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

plug wires

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 05:51 AM
89 NoTcH
2nd Gear Member

Default plug wires

well, i need a set of plug wires and i am lookin at summit and im seeing prices from 40.00-100.00$ all claiming to be the best. is one that much better then the other. also what is the benefits of larger mm sizes ie. 8mm-10.4mm i dont have many mods just the basics gears and exhaust right now.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: plug wires

For a mildly modded motor the FRPP 9mm plug wires will be a great upgrade and improvement, heres a lil something to read:

Heres a good bit of info on ignition boxes and systems: Courtesy of LoneStarMustangs

There are numerous ignition sytems available that say they give you "X" horsepower gain, or do this or that for your engine. In most cases the ignition unit will benefit your engine, but is it needed? To decide if adding an upgraded ignition system to your vehicle is going to be worthwhile you need to ask yourself a few simple questions:

1) Am I trying to get maximum spark energy, engine efficiency, lowered emissions, and power output from my engine?
2) Am I modifying the engine (cams, head porting, exhaust system, larger carbs/injectors, compression, or any other assortment of aftermarket performance parts) so that cylinder pressures will be increased?
3) Am I adding a serious power adder (Nitrous, Supercharger, Turbocharger, etc)?
4) Am I planning on racing the vehicle?
5) Am I increasing the RPM range of the engine?

If you answered YES to even one of the questions above you could consider the addition of one of the available ignition systems on the market. If you answered YES to 2 or more of the above questions, you'd better install a quality ignition amplifier (Mallory Hyfire, Holley Annihilator, Crane Hi-6, MSD, etc).

There is going to be B.S, from many ignition manufacturers, and the facts surrounding what an ignition unit can really do.

Some Facts:

1) A small power increase and strides in efficiency will be seen in most cases. (Note that if you are racing, not having a good ignition system can cause serious power loss and engine damage if the air/fuel mixture is not ignited properly. Without the correct or adequate coil the ignition system cannot do its job properly.
2) Analog ignition systems are slow and not as good as digital units
3) Opening up your plug gaps just because you have added an amplifier CAN SLOW YOU DOWN and cost your horsepower.
4) Not all ignition units are the same (Inductive amplifier and Capacitive Discharge amplifier, not to mention brands)
5) If it takes 10k volts to fire your spark plug, that is what you will get. Just because you have a bazillion volt system does not mean the box will give that to your plugs and combustion process. Don't believe that just because the ignition has the highest "millijoule" rating that it is the best.
Using the wrong coil can have serious implications (coils overheat, boil over, and catch the vehicle on fire because the coil could not handle what the box was telling it to do).
6) Not all ignition triggers are equal (breaker point, magnetic, magnetic breakerless, hall effect, photo optic, etc). Each can affect the efficiency of your ignition unit.

Some Hype:

A) "Guaranteed horsepower claims"
B) "Our amplifiers will help ALL vehicles"
C) "It will work with any coil" (this usually means that their unit does "squat"). Remember, the coil is the workhorse and the box is managing the coil.
D) "You can now increase the spark gap for better performance". This usually means again that their box does "squat". If you "have to" open the gaps up to get spark energy, the box is not supplying what they claim. Increasing plug gaps should be decided on an individual engine basis, not by the box.
The lowest plug wire resistance is not always the best either. A coil has to build energy (resistance) and then release it. This resistance is a combined part of the coil, plug wires, plugs, etc. The more efficient units can operate with slightly higher plug wire resistances to eliminate outside interferences. Weaker units require extremely low resistance plug wires and ignition coils, virtually just blowing the spark through the coil and wires to get to the plugs.
E) "All these controls will help you achieve more performance". Many of the available "gadget boxes" are just that. If you have a real need for timing controls, high speed retards, etc, then get a box that uses these features. Just because the box has these controls does not mean you will get more performance. Computer programmable ignitions (where you hook your laptop or PC to the ignition) are for dyno rooms. Once you have a setting that works for your specific engine, it probably never needs to be tweaked again. You can play with those settings for months and never get a single HP gain from them.
Choose the brand and type's that you believe will best benefit your need's, not what your buddy's need's might have been.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:08 PM
Ecstasy
5th Gear Member

id stay away from frpp plug wires, if your slightly modded go with accel, if your modded other then that id highly recommend msd super conducts. taylors are the 10.4 your talking about and you dont need that, go with msd cap & rotor & msd plugwires autolite #25 platinum spark plugs. gap the sparkplugs at 0.54.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:10 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Why stay away from FRPP wires?
Old 09-22-2006, 12:31 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

DO NOT BUY PLATINUM PLUGS!!!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:58 PM
jzgt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

DO NOT BUY PLATINUM PLUGS!!!
I have to second that -- this is one case where less is more.
I use the Autolite 25's on stockers.

- Jeff
Old 09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
88stang5.0GT
2nd Gear Member

red 9mm frpp wires on my 91
blue 9mm frpp wires on my 88
autolite #25's
i noticed a difference with the frpp wires right away
big improvement on my stock wires