5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

TFS install, LESS power than before!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 12:01 AM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

Default TFS install, LESS power than before!

ok, here we go, my car hates mods I guess. Its an 87 gt, I had the usual bolt ons, exhaust, headers, tfs street heat intake, o/r H, 80mm MAF, 75mm TB, 6AL, 255 pump, 30# injectors, 150 Shot NOS and SCT eliminator chip. It dynoed 217 RWHP off the spray. on a mustang dyno, 240 on a chassis dyno. I just added 1.6 FRPP roller rockiers, TFS twisted wedge heads, TFS stage 2 cam, .543/.562 236 duration. I set the timing at 14, I have the chip turned off, and am running off my stock computer. When I acceleate, the car is SLOWER than before. And I don't mean by a little. I mean it prob. wouldn't run 14.0 in the quarter! It sometime seems to backfire a little when I jus blip the throttle. After 3500 rpm, the car is respectable fast, but maybe only a little faster than before. What should I look for as my culprit?? What did you TFS top end guys do to yours as far as timing is concerned? mines at 14 degrees. It wouldn't hardly run at 10. I know its kinda a big cam, but come on! I should have felt a little faster. It idles great! and when I rev it, it sounds sooo good. it just doesn't want to go. whats up?[sm=dontgetit.gif]
Old 09-24-2006, 12:30 AM
88GT_5.0Stangman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: TFS install, LESS power than before!

how did you install the cam, as far as retard, advance, or straight up
Old 09-24-2006, 12:39 AM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

are you taking the spout out? how much fuel pressure ? check timing/wiring again. something is wrong , it should run MUCH better than stock. i am running the tfs kit with supporting mods and it runs way better than stock. if you can't find the problem ,take it to a good mustang mechanic. good luck.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:58 AM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

the cam is installed 4 degrees reterded because of the size of the cam. the spout was out indeed. i haven't checked the fuel press. cause I didn't change anything from before. It was at 39 psi. I will have to ask the guy who installed the heads. he is a ford tech with tons of experience building motors and such.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:00 AM
AdderMk2
Banned

my car puts out more than that with stock heads, cam and intake.... ive just got a TB and exhaust.... something about this screams.... YOU F'ED UP SOMEWHERE
Old 09-24-2006, 03:21 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Why are you trying to run without the chip that was burned for the MAF and injectors?

Right now the computer thinks it has a 55mm maf and 19lb injectors.
No wonder it doesn't run well.

Even with the chip installed, you may need to head out and have the car dyno tuned.
Your numbers sound off, so I would suggest going to a different shop this time.

Let us know what you figure out.
jason
Old 09-24-2006, 06:15 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

didnt see you mention if you switched from speed density to MAF....
Old 09-24-2006, 07:17 AM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Well he had of too if he has a80mm maf...

Check your timing again, vacum leaks, Somthings not right, do a compression check to make sure all cylinders are firing.

Might be you lost some bottom end with the cam and gained more top end.

Running rich? Those injectors are a lil big. WHats your Air fuel ratio at? Take it for more tunning.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Fastman
2nd Gear Member

sounds like off the juice your car is way too rich
Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 PM
XSRACINGGT
3rd Gear Member

yeah, its been mass air converted. the chip was tuned for optimal setings before my heads and cam. with the chip off, the car runs off of the stock computer. the mas air flow sensor has been calibrated for 30#ers. it ran on it before the chip. no vacume leaks.I think that you may be right black snake, I may have sacrificed my bottom end for more top end, but, I can't even chirp second gear! I think thats waaaay too much sacrifice huh? when you install a distibutor, you point the rotor button at the number one cylinder with the number one cylinder at top dead center right? then time it from there? I think the guy who put it had the rotor button pointed toward the back of the engine. would the distributor being 2 notches off make that much of difference? it seems the timing is way off cause if the car happens to die, it takes alot of turning the engine over for it to crank, then it kinda comes to life and I gotta feather the throttle to bring it back up and running.

Quick Reply: TFS install, LESS power than before!