5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:16 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Default RE: MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!

Alright thank you for the help!! I will take a look at the haynes and chiltons I have at home and get an idea and I will check the plug. Does the plug have letters labeled on it or is it on the regulator?
Old 09-27-2006, 02:24 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

it is on the regulator, and yes, the 86 had to have a stator wire. I am looking at the alternator for it as i type this, I have it in stock. From left to right looking at the back of the alternator with the regulator pointing up it is I - S - A now on the plug the large battery wires were in, the large plug, the stator actully is in there, the white /black tracer. it was the small wire in that big plug.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:28 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Ok then I think the stator wire I created may be going to the gauge and not to the other. The large plug on the 86 only has two wires in it and they are both black with orange stripes and nothing else. I stripped the tape down farther and everything and it was not there.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

yeah, just compare the old regulator connections and alternator to the new set up, side by side, it might just fall into place for you.

Just make sure that I from the old goes to I on the new and so forth., the haynes may have a better picture of the connector on the regulator with I S A marked out, and then just move those colors over to the new. the main thing on the three g is the S does not go to the car, it loops from the small plug to S on the regulator, than the other two go to the car, the I to the idiotlight/guage and the A goes to the batt junction on the car.

So yes, you will only have two regulator wires going to the car, the I and the A, the S is just looped from the small plug next to the regulator to the S on the regulator, then the two large Batt wires go to the bolt on the back of teh ALT.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:36 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Nothing just falls into place with this car lol. When I had it connected to the other wire the car would not charge at all.

Our friend with an 86 just said splice into one of those two wires and it will work.....well that didn't happen so he said splice it into the other one and that is when it started smoking...we truly are lost.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:53 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Do you think it is possible to modify the plug that has only two wires and a space for the third to accomodate the stator wire and make sure that nothing is spliced into anything else at all? Maybe if the letters line up correctly I can just add that additional wire if it is in the place of the s and go from there.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:58 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

oh, I see, you are using the old plug from the 1g, you need to go to az and get the regulator & pigtail plug from the 3g, around here they are like 6 bucks a pop at autozone, they have back in the wiring section by the fuses and crap. I though you already had the right plugs, get those and then hook things up the right way and you should be good to go.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:00 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Well I think the alternator is at least a 2g because the alternator has the voltage regulator it just has only two wires and not three.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:09 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Yes you need the three wire plug and the little stator plug ofto the side. to hook it up correctly

These are the plugs you need

[IMG]local://upfiles/47622/3906ABA268914BE98032DFCB16041BD7.gif[/IMG]
Old 09-27-2006, 03:11 PM
deckind
1st Gear Member

Well the plug on there has three prongs..is there any way to modify that for a third wire? I just used a little female connected to connect the wire to the stator plug....lots of people said that is fine.

Quick Reply: MORE ELECTRICAL HELP NEEDED ASAP!!!!!!!