5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Could this be part of my cooling issues?...Picture Inside

Old 09-26-2006, 02:37 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Could this be part of my cooling issues?...Picture Inside

make sure your run the heat and get it all out of the heater core. or replace it also while coolant is drained. I flush cooling once and all the gunk that was holding the water in the heater core was flushed out and had to eplace heater core after the fact
Old 09-26-2006, 03:20 AM
lead09
1st Gear Member

Do I run the CLR with a new radiator or the exsting one? I'd hate to get more crap in the engine from the rad. And I'd also hate to contaminate a new rad with crap from the engine?...humm...

I also found this on the net: http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.asp I'm sure they would recommend it if they could. I'm not sure I want to try it now.

How about a cooling system flush like this: http://www.prestone.com/products/coo...Treatments.php
Even if it takes a couple times it sounds a little safer.

Is there any type of filter I can use in the rad hose to prevent getting stuff in the engine. Should I pull the t-stat before I do it ?
Old 09-26-2006, 03:33 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lead09

Do I run the CLR with a new radiator or the exsting one? I'd hate to get more crap in the engine from the rad. And I'd also hate to contaminate a new rad with crap from the engine?...humm...

I also found this on the net: http://www.jelmar.com/CLRbasic.asp I'm sure they would recommend it if they could. I'm not sure I want to try it now.

How about a cooling system flush like this: http://www.prestone.com/products/coo...Treatments.php
Even if it takes a couple times it sounds a little safer.

Is there any type of filter I can use in the rad hose to prevent getting stuff in the engine. Should I pull the t-stat before I do it ?
No, run the CLR through the old radiator...you dont want all that crud thats being removed from the inside of the block to get into the new radiator. And take the T stat out while you do it.

Good luck
Old 09-26-2006, 04:05 AM
Twotone93stang
2nd Gear Member

so i have the same situation and im just buying a new radiator what should i do about the possible gunk in the block
Old 09-26-2006, 04:14 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Red FIVE O
ive heard you can use vinegar. and let it soak overnight.
That does work, but not on huge amounts like yours. [&:] Coca Cola works good too. The acids from either vinegar or soda will eat that stuff away. The more you have, the longer you'll have to let the fluid sit in it.

BTW did anyone look at the CLR site... No one noticed this?

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely."

In any case you need to get that crayfish out of your engine block or radiator, where ever he is.

Old 09-26-2006, 04:25 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FoxGT

ORIGINAL: Red FIVE O
ive heard you can use vinegar. and let it soak overnight.
That does work, but not on huge amounts like yours. [&:] Coca Cola works good too. The acids from either vinegar or soda will eat that stuff away. The more you have, the longer you'll have to let the fluid sit in it.

BTW did anyone look at the CLR site... No one noticed this?

Can I use CLR to clean out my radiator?
No, CLR should not be used on a car radiator for two reasons. First, CLR may not be compatible with the internal metals of the radiator. Second, it could have adverse effects if the CLR is not rinsed out completely."
Ahh, just a disclaimer, so they wont get sued. It wont hurt anything, just make sure you flush the system with fresh water afterwords and get all the old stuff out.

I mean hell, if you look on a Ford website, they probably wouldnt recommend spraying a 150 shot on a stock 302 bottom end...
Old 09-26-2006, 04:27 AM
FoxGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu
Ahh, just a disclaimer, so they wont get sued. It wont hurt anything, just make sure you flush the system with fresh water afterwords and get all the old stuff out.

I mean hell, if you look on a Ford website, they probably wouldnt recommend spraying a 150 shot on a stock 302 bottom end...
Ford Motor Company
Q: Is it safe to use a 150 shot of nitrous on my stock 5.0?
A: Yes, there is a risk of metal parts flying about, but it is perfectly safe other than that.
[&:]