5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how to put a 351w engine in my 90 mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:20 AM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: how to put a 351w engine in my 90 mustang

you'd probably pick up 40hp with just a carb swap
explain
Old 09-26-2006, 02:23 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Carbureted engines repond better to modification. Simple as that. Ask anyone. On a engine with his mods, if he went with a Vic Jr intake and a 650Demon carb, yea...id say 30-40hp on the top end of that combo. But it depends alot on his cam choice.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:32 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

That not true as long as you get your EFI computer re-tuned
most people dont do that and lose power cause their computer isn't tuned right.

Pretty agressive cam ...... .
579/.579 lift and 236/248 duration at .050 ......... CompCams new XFI roller cam specificly designed for 4" bore long stroke engines ( ie 347, 351W ect )
A custom precission cam would probably be good for another 15-20hp
Old 09-26-2006, 02:43 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

That not true as long as you get your EFI computer re-tuned
most people dont do that and lose power cause their computer isn't tuned right.

Pretty agressive cam ...... .
579/.579 lift and 236/248 duration at .050 ......... CompCams new XFI roller cam specificly designed for 4" bore long stroke engines ( ie 347, 351W ect )
A custom precission cam would probably be good for another 15-20hp

Man, those XFI cams are pretty nice, ive heard nothing but good things about them from everyone. Esepcially over on Hardcoremustangracers. People should try that site also, LOTS of great info from people who really know their sh*t.

From what ive been told over on Jason fletchers, its the shape of the retarded 5.0 EFI intake that makes it such a weak design from the start, sure people have improved the design greatly but the air has to change direction to much, but a Carb intake usually is just a straight shot with a single plane intake. With his car, all we did was a carb conversion with a cheapo Weiland intake and we could definatly feel a differance, so its definatly noticable hp. He had a Eddy RPM intake on it before the convo and thats with ported GT40's.

Ill tell ya one thing, with his X cam in that car...it DEFINATLY idle's nastier now. Sounds twice as nasty now at idle.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:51 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/

Hey, here is that site i was telling you about r.barn....you should try going there...they could help out alot with your build. Most of the guys on there are engine builders, some full time racers. Good place, great advice.
Old 09-26-2006, 02:56 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

From what ive been told over on Jason fletchers, its the shape of the retarded 5.0 EFI intake that makes it such a weak design from the start, sure people have improved the design greatly but the air has to change direction to much, but a Carb intake usually is just a straight shot with a single plane intake. With his car, all we did was a carb conversion with a cheapo Weiland intake and we could definatly feel a differance, so its definatly noticable hp. He had a Eddy RPM intake on it before the convo and thats with ported GT40's.

Ill tell ya one thing, with his X cam in that car...it DEFINATLY idle's nastier now. Sounds twice as nasty now at idle.
That is NOT a difference between a carb motor and and EFI motor.
That is the difference between a long runner and a short runner intake.

Adding length (and just plain volume to the mainifold) lowers the RPM at which peak power occurs.

Shorter runners will move the power band up.

Properly tuned efi will make the same power as a comparable carb motor.

The problem is that no one who does dyno comparisons, does FAIR dyno comparisons.
I have looked for them, they don't seem to exist.

You cannot compare the peak power numbers from a short runner carb to those from a long runner efi.

Well that is my rant for the night...

jason
Old 09-26-2006, 03:02 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vristang

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

That is NOT a difference between a carb motor and and EFI motor.
That is the difference between a long runner and a short runner intake.

Adding length (and just plain volume to the mainifold) lowers the RPM at which peak power occurs.

Shorter runners will move the power band up.

Properly tuned efi will make the same power as a comparable carb motor.

The problem is that no one who does dyno comparisons, does FAIR dyno comparisons.
I have looked for them, they don't seem to exist.

You cannot compare the peak power numbers from a short runner carb to those from a long runner efi.

Well that is my rant for the night...

jason
I agree with you about the dyno comparisons. But...i would like to see a fair dyno comparison between a 302, both have stock E7's, stock cam, etc. And the only thing that would be changed is this....alright i'd like to see it with a Edelbrock RPM EFI intake with 24# injectors...then i'd like to see the same motor dyno'd with a Edelbrock RPM Carb intake with a Demon carb...i have a feeling which would make more power. In a point of view where drivability means nothing, Carb is generally the better route to go.

But id still like to see that dyno comparison, completely bias. But good luck finding that.