Supercharge - MustangForums.com

Notices
5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Supercharge

Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

Default Supercharge

i am trying to decide wether to supercharge my car or do a upper engine kit(heads, intakes, cam etc) If i were to supercharge i would only go with a 5psi system from vortech. What else would have to be done to support that? i would go more fuel no doubt but anything else? bigger radiator? electrical systems? Same go's for a upper performance kit. Which would be my best bet for more power with less stress on the engine? any advise would be helpful. thanks all!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:27 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Supercharge

I would go with the supercharger.... later if you have the $ you could change out the heads/cam/intake...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:35 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

well yea but what else has to be done to support it?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:43 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Well since im not running a s/c myself, im not going to get too crazy with my opinions... but, if your engine is in good shape i think you'll be fine as is... you said you only wanted to run 5 lbs... but, wait for other opinions...
Old 09-26-2006, 12:56 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

ok but as far as say fuel go's, i should up that i would assume. opening up the exhaust would help im sure. would i have to worry about it overheating? would a bigger radiator be of some help?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:02 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

ok but as far as say fuel go's, i should up that i would assume. opening up the exhaust would help im sure. would i have to worry about it overheating? would a bigger radiator be of some help?
exhaust is a winner in any case... not sure about the rest... [:-]
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

You should have absolutely no problems running 5 PSI on a stock engine. The superhcarger ktis now come with everything you need to install them on a stock engine. I'm running 10 PSI with no problems myself, but I have a few minor mods (nothing too major.) But in your situation, you should be able to get away with stock pumps and injectors if you wanted to run 5 PSI and the FMU. Personally, I would just get better injectors and fuel pump, but that would be more for the future than for now (because you KNOW you're gonna wanna add more in the future.)

As far as overheating, that's not going to be an issue. And with only 5 PSI an intercooler isn't necessary either. It definately won't hurt to open up the exhaust, but again it isn't necessary at 5 PSI.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:05 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

ORIGINAL: 88MustangGX

exhaust is a winner in any case... not sure about the rest... [:-]
Yeah, it's one of those things you're going to want to do anyway someday. it isn't necessary but what's the point of having a mustang without decent exhaust!?
Old 09-26-2006, 01:16 PM
88MustangGX
2nd Gear Member

ok great. thanks alot guys! my mind is made up. i'm sure i can get a smaller pulley if needed. i think i will do the trick flow street heat intake setup though. put more flow in... and more power of course...
Old 09-26-2006, 01:25 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

i would recomend doing a top end kit first to support a s/c while your in there upgrade your injectors, and get a new fuel pump(walboro 155)/adjustable fuel regulator(30-70psi),MAF, TB, and then you have a platform for a s/c to really excel at... then you can run 12psi of boost down the road.... with an s or t trim and the right pulley. jmo but that's be the road i'd take good luck either way

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Supercharge

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.