5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Taking slack out of my throttle cable!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 12:15 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Taking slack out of my throttle cable!!!

ORIGINAL: grabbem88

why are we doing this?...just curious...is this supposed to give you better throttle response or something?
Some old wives tale!!
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

just asking never heard of it...besides if my car accelerates any harder something will break!..need those battle boxes
Old 09-27-2006, 01:33 AM
Bagitupbaby
2nd Gear Member

does that shift kit make ur auto stronger does it make it feel stronger cause i got an auto and it feels weak i got 355 in the back
Old 09-27-2006, 01:40 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

YES ALL of our cars are in need of this , why???

while you guys are out there setting the TPS to .99 at idle that meens scrap, your ecm never sees the WOT signal, and you think your 5.0 is SLOW[:'(]

Instance two, you verify WOT at the throttle lever by using your hand, instead of having your buddy get in the car and floor it for you.

He doesnt have to be a real buddy, in fact a broken broom stick wedged agaisnt the seat does just fine , and oh wow look you have a whole half INCH left before the lever hits the stop and your ecm say hey, thats where the pedal is at, thats what we are going to go, and you say hey, im flooring it, and need more power, hmm maybe heads or something will do it

Old 09-27-2006, 01:46 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bagitupbaby

does that shift kit make ur auto stronger does it make it feel stronger cause i got an auto and it feels weak i got 355 in the back
I dunno about what you're talking about but you've probably got 3.27s in the back. Shift kits can make your tires chirp and it doesn't really make it feel any stronger, just harder shifts.

But anyways, I suppose that I could bend the pedal, it'd probably be easier. I have NO clue how my dad did it on the vert, but he says that it was simple for him just took a while to maneuver his hands. But he said he doesn't want to do it for me again, so I'm out of luck there lol. I guess I'll try and bend the pedal tomorrow and fix this bitch so far. Oh btw, I had the gas pedal assembly taken apart today and I wasn't too sure on how to get the throttle cable out of the hole in the pedal. Do I have to take the plastic grommet out to get the cable out? This is probably the most pain in the *** thing to do out of all of the modifications, I have probably 4 hours or so into this project and still no results. . Oh well, I'll fix that tomorrow
Old 09-27-2006, 09:01 AM
stanglx2002
6th Gear Member

What are you guys talking about
Old 09-27-2006, 02:08 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i want to see proof on this...it seems far fetched...like the placebo effect
Old 09-27-2006, 02:43 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

There is no placebo here. You can see this using a very simple method (as stated above.)
First have someone go in the car and floor it (with teh engine off of course) They will have the pedal pressed all teh way to the floor. Now go up under the hood and use your hand to see if the torottle can actually open up and wider. In some models it wont make a difference because the throttle is as far openes as it can go. But in other models you will see that you can actually physically open it even more by pulling the cable with your hand. And you can verify this by looking at the TB and see that it opens further to let more air in when you pull the cable with your hand.

All this does it shorten the cable (so to speak) so that when the pedal is all the way to the floor, then the throttle is indeed wide open and not stuck 95% open.If you don't believe this works, then change your cable to one thats 3 inches longer. Then floor it and let me know how that works out for ya
Old 09-27-2006, 02:47 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Basically, if the cable it too long, then the first movements in the pedal actually just picks up slack and doesn't open the throttle at all. You have a little "play" in the pedal just like some cars have a little or a lot of play in the sterring wheel. Problem is, if there is too much play, then you pedal actually hits the floor before the cable is pulled and the throttle is opened all the way. This method simply eliminates the play in the pedal.

Because of that, it does give better response in the sense that instead of taking up the slack in that first slight movement, it actually opens the throttle.

BUT this will ONLY work if your throttle isn't all teh way open when the ledal is all the way to the floor.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: samseed101

There is no placebo here. You can see this using a very simple method (as stated above.)
First have someone go in the car and floor it (with teh engine off of course) They will have the pedal pressed all teh way to the floor. Now go up under the hood and use your hand to see if the torottle can actually open up and wider. In some models it wont make a difference because the throttle is as far openes as it can go. But in other models you will see that you can actually physically open it even more by pulling the cable with your hand. And you can verify this by looking at the TB and see that it opens further to let more air in when you pull the cable with your hand.

All this does it shorten the cable (so to speak) so that when the pedal is all the way to the floor, then the throttle is indeed wide open and not stuck 95% open.If you don't believe this works, then change your cable to one thats 3 inches longer. Then floor it and let me know how that works out for ya
Pretty basic stuff, really.

Quick Reply: Taking slack out of my throttle cable!!!