5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Burn your eyes rich!! Please Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 02:57 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Default Burn your eyes rich!! Please Help!

Ok I am new to the forums. So here goes. I bought a 88 GT for $1,000.00. It was bone stock except for a catback exhaust. It has 130,000 miles on it. It didn't have a tranny in it so I never started it. I bought it from a good friend so I knew it ran. He said it was using ALOT of fuel. Like 5-6 MPG. I put on BBK Equal lenghts matching o/r H pipe and custom dumped original 40 series flows. I put in new O2 sensors took off smog pump took off egr and got the connector to bypass it. I did a full tune up with Accel cap,rotor,plugs,wires and coil. I even replaced the fuel tank since I knew they have a problem with leaking. First time I started the car it ran ok for the 5-10 mins I ran it. Now its burn your eyes rich. I noticed the temp gage never really moves. I checked the gage and it is in proper working order. I then go to check the thermostat...well there wasn't one. I need a new thermostat housing before I can put it all back together. COULD this be the problem why its so rich cause its running in an "open loop"??? He also put in a highflow fuel pump but has no clue what size. My next step after this is getting a Kirban FPR. Any info on this is appreciated.
Old 09-26-2006, 03:19 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Burn your eyes rich!! Please Help!

yes... and with the high flow fuel pump you'll need an adjustable fuel regulator tuned to about 38-40psi. your on the right path, get a 180* t stat and fuel regulator. How do the plugs look? I'd bet on that fuel pump being the culprit!
Old 09-26-2006, 03:49 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

i'd hook a gauge up to the rail and see waht the pressure is at
Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

The motor is dumping fuel to warm the engine up because the T stat isnt in there. So thats why its running so rich. Get a 180* as said, then turn that fuel pressure down. Check the o2's, they're probably clogged now that you've ran so rich, burn them with a torch to clean them. Good luck, good deal by the way.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:32 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Ok I put in the 180* T stat and it seems to run alot better then it did but its still rich. I ordered the Kirban FPR and pressure gauge. It should be here some time the end of this week. Hopefully when I get those put on it will solve my problem. Will let u guys know whats going on with it. Thanks alot for the advice its been a big help!
Old 09-26-2006, 08:36 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

man stick your head under my car,and you'll fall out..

btw you are dumped and that is 90% of your problem those gasses have nowhere to go so it lingers.

and yes i do use a 160* stat.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:30 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Cretan-
That is a heck of a deal. The guy who sold it will regret that decision when he sees how well you get it running.
Welcome to the boards.

START your trouble shooting by pulling the codes!!!!!!!!!
There is a link in my sig if you don't have a code reader.

It's good to hear that you put a stat in. That will be a big help.
Keep in mind that coolant temps below about 175F (depending on who you talk to), will greatly increase the rate of wear on the bores.
You will lose power below this temp as well.
If you can, run the coolant temp just a shade under 200F. This will maximize power and efficiency.

Possible problems...
O2 signal may not be within range. A bad ground or a short in the signal wire.
ACT/ECT could be out of range.
Mis-Matched Injectors/MAF

I don't want to seem rude, or offend anyone who has responded...
BUT, why would you start buying parts to fix the problem, before you have confirmation of what the problem is.

I am running a 255lph pump on the stock regulator. There are many folks doing this. The high flow pump is not the problem, and even if it is... a regulator won't do anything to fix that.
Maybe I missed something there? But that doesn't make sense to me.

Again, I hope I don't offend anyone.
I just want to make the point that the computer is a great source for checking the condition of the motor.
We need to be using the computer to diagnose our problems.

jason
Old 09-26-2006, 10:33 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

uh dumps?....listen to me people it will make you think you are rich,but not...wideband is the key here.

yes pull codes!....it works!...hell i got big cam,and managed to make my ride decent for street pleasure.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:45 PM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

I agree the fpr is just that a fpr, it will regulate the factory set pressure so installing your adjustable one wont fix the problem. You can lower the pressure but that is a big no no because you need the high fuel pressure for fuel atimization in the combustion chamber. It may run better at lower pressure but its not the way to go. Sounds like it is a computer input issue like ect, etc. If you dont have cats it will burn your eyes also.
Old 09-26-2006, 10:58 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

exactly...we need more people like you and V common sense is the factor here.

Quick Reply: Burn your eyes rich!! Please Help!