5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

grinding 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:51 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: grinding 2nd

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

ORIGINAL: 89regattaLX

dude I'd grind every gear that way
Nah, I drove a Sunbird once (I work at a shop) so I didn't even know the car and i was messin around with it and never used the clutch, didn't grind once. All you have to do is learn your RPM to speed ratio. For instance, say at 3000rpm in second you're goin 35, just put it into neutral, bring the RPMs up to roughly 3000rpm when you're rollin at 35 and slide it into 2nd, shifts soft like an automatic if you shift that way. (all without touching the clutch pedal of course) This method is good if you have a snapped clutch cable, did it in a 4cyl mustang that I owned aha, all i did was depressed the clutch and hit the starter to get it rolling and gave it some gas and off she went aha
That just sounds like a helluva lot of work to shift, why not just granny shift? I can understand the broken clutch cable, but still, i say double clutch it. Once you learn to do it, you can do it really fast, but this is the only real practical application of double clutching...there is no advantage in driving while double clutching other than keeping the tranny from grinding when a syncro is gone.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:54 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

You are correct about not using the clutch will not wear on it, but you are still using the syncronizers. In fact you are being harder on them and the sliders without the clutch. Releasing the clutch takes power off the transmission to allow the blocker ring to slow down or speed up the speed gear easier. All you are doing is making the syncronizers job harder because now it's still under power. Sure it can be done, but it's hard on parts that are already worn out. You'd be better off to double clutch or skip it all together.
Old 09-26-2006, 05:55 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Nah, I drove a Sunbird once (I work at a shop) so I didn't even know the car and i was messin around with it and never used the clutch, didn't grind once. All you have to do is learn your RPM to speed ratio. For instance, say at 3000rpm in second you're goin 35, just put it into neutral, bring the RPMs up to roughly 3000rpm when you're rollin at 35 and slide it into 2nd, shifts soft like an automatic if you shift that way. (all without touching the clutch pedal of course) This method is good if you have a snapped clutch cable, did it in a 4cyl mustang that I owned aha, all i did was depressed the clutch and hit the starter to get it rolling and gave it some gas and off she went aha
That just sounds like a helluva lot of work to shift, why not just granny shift? I can understand the broken clutch cable, but still, i say double clutch it. Once you learn to do it, you can do it really fast, but this is the only real practical application of double clutching...there is no advantage in driving while double clutching other than keeping the tranny from grinding when a syncro is gone.
It's not really so bad once you get to know the car. When you get good at it you can tell just by the sound the car is making and know just how much throttle to give it, everybit as fast as double clutching when you're good at it, just a learning curve. Good to know anyway, hell, if I hadn't known how to do it I would've had to pay a $50 tow bill to bring the car to our shop to change that little $6 cable to 4cyl cars had
Old 09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92GreyGT

You are correct about not using the clutch will not wear on it, but you are still using the syncronizers. In fact you are being harder on them and the sliders without the clutch. Releasing the clutch takes power off the transmission to allow the blocker ring to slow down or speed up the speed gear easier. All you are doing is making the syncronizers job harder because now it's still under power. Sure it can be done, but it's hard on parts that are already worn out. You'd be better off to double clutch or skip it all together.
How so? The engine is now moving the same speed as the tranny... Syncros don't kick in until you try and shift it. And since they're both moving the same speed when you shift, the syncros aren't doing anything
Old 09-26-2006, 06:04 PM
89regattaLX
1st Gear Member

so all you have to do is keep the rpm's in the same spot when you're shifting?
Old 09-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

so all you have to do is keep the rpm's in the same spot when you're shifting?
Well yah, like shift into second gear to get to know your RPM to Speed ratio, just pick your usual shift point, like say you usually shift into second at 30mph, and at 30mph your engine is at say 2800rpm, this way it'll be easier to learn, then just pop it into neutral and bring your rpms up to the equivalent in speed, (in this case, you're rolling in neutral at 30mph, and 30mph in 2nd is 2800rpm, so bring your engine up to 2800rpm in neutral) then slide it into 2nd without using the clutch. Very simple once you get to know it. And if you wanted to you could do this to all your gears, get to know the RPM to Speed ratio and never have to use the clutch except in 1st to get it rolling, but since your syncros work in the other gears, i wouldn't bother, just something that entertains me every now and then when im bored of driving, makes you work a little
Old 09-26-2006, 06:13 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im gonna go ahead and say i dont recommend shifting w. out a clutch. while yes it is do able, and works out good, it still stresses the syncros, more so than using the clutch does. my buddy learned this the hard way, he no longer has 3rd gear in his 02 gt, it grinds that bad. so ill suggest not doing that w. all the gears, if you really "need" to, just do it going into 2nd, seeing that 2nd is allready messed up.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:19 PM
92GreyGT
3rd Gear Member

Liquid you are correct, if you can get the input and output shaft spinning the same speed the syncronizers are just floating. My suggestion would be to fix second and use the clutch.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:20 PM
89regattaLX
1st Gear Member

yea I'll probably just double clutch it or bypass 2nd all togeather, but it seems like a fun little trick to try some time
Old 09-26-2006, 06:31 PM
92 super 5.0
1st Gear Member

i had a similar problem i was going to the beach shifted fine then going into 4th i hear the worst grinding noise ever.... so i push on the clutch shift into 5th fine then we start to come to a light so i down **** grinded again in 4th then in 3rd so i just coasted to a stop and ever time i let the clutch out it grinded even wen it wasnt in gear and 535rwhp doesnt take any stress off the tranny at all.... took to a friends shop dropped the tranny and found out the the pressure plate wasnt releasing wen i let the clutch out which caused the tranny to go and the clutch so now $2300 later i have a beautiful T-5 tremec tranny and a ram clutch in my car and it shift f'in great

Quick Reply: grinding 2nd