5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What is the Difference? Help guys.

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 04:59 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Default What is the Difference? Help guys.

I am looking to start my project and pick a Notch for under 3 grand. What is the difference between the

LX Sedan 2D
LX 5.0 Liter Sedan 2D
GT Hatchback 2D

Old 09-28-2006, 05:13 PM
88mustang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: What is the Difference? Help guys.

weight and body style
Old 09-28-2006, 05:22 PM
MustangMadness7
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: straitwangin

I am looking to start my project and pick a Notch for under 3 grand. What is the difference between the

LX Sedan 2D
LX 5.0 Liter Sedan 2D
GT Hatchback 2D

LX Sedan 2D = 2.3 Liter 4 cylinder.
LX 5.0 Liter Sedan 2D = 5 liter v8
GT Hatch = 5 liter v8 (same as LX 5.0, but with bodykit)

Basicly, the LX Sedan is slow. If you just want a body to drop a new engine in, go with this one, cuz it will be cheaper to buy one with a nice body. If your looking to build the engine, go with one of the others. Just pick whichever you like the looks of more. If you want the lightest one, go with a LX Notch.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:27 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

LX Sedan 2D = 2.3 Liter 4 cylinder.
LX 5.0 Liter Sedan 2D = 5 liter v8
GT Hatch = 5 liter v8 (same as LX 5.0, but with bodykit)

Basicly, the LX Sedan is slow. If you just want a body to drop a new engine in, go with this one, cuz it will be cheaper to buy one with a nice body. If your looking to build the engine, go with one of the others. Just pick whichever you like the looks of more. If you want the lightest one, go with a LX Notch.
unless it is the 2.3L turbo.... and yea go with the LX Notch
Old 09-28-2006, 05:39 PM
1994sn95
1st Gear Member

you forgot one thing...the gt has upgraded suspension from the lx.

and yea notch is defintely the way to go. especially if u want something light, fast, and rare. only probalem is finding one of those for cheap. haha
Old 09-28-2006, 05:49 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

The 4-cylinder is a rack and pinion car also, which is great for future plans. Myself, I go with Notches strictly, former four cylinders or w/o motors. You can actually find them cheap and IMO the Notch is simply the way to go. But again that is personal preference.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:51 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Ok dont laugh at me for asking this but is the differance, i have heard a lot of people call em Fox bodies, Notch backs im guessing they are the same.

I found a 92 LX 5.0 sedan for sale for 3k with like 90k on it i was gonna offer him 2200 and see where we go from there. But i really like the look of the LX as opposed to the GT.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:55 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

It is a good question for a noob Yes it is a "Fox" body. My only advice is to try to find one with a somewhat straight body, that way you will not have to blow too much money getting it straight. Other than that I would find the MOST stripped down one you can for your application that is, then let the games begin.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:59 PM
straitwangin
4th Gear Member

Yes i more expirence with the 99-04 stangs, most of my buddies have the new edge GT's.

Basically this would be a project car over the next few years im which i would tear her down, and rebuild. I am 100% SHURE that the factor motor will be replaced with something larger or upgraded to a forged 5.0 stroker.

Any other ideas on what else whould be good as far as the power plant goes? The car will be a weekend driver and see runs to the store and down the stip only. A budget is in mind but i plan on saving for my project pretty rigouriously.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:03 PM
MadMan@TheWheel
4th Gear Member

I am probably a bad person to talk to about that. I have been running Windsor based strokers (I run 408ci) and not street driven. I would say for a 302 based motor a great stroker with lots of potential would be a 306ci or even a 347ci. The 306ci of course would be cheaper and you would not need the block clearenced to allow the rotating assembly but those are great running motors and pretty good weekend warriors. Unless you want to get all kinds of insane, I could help you with that too.

Quick Reply: What is the Difference? Help guys.