5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What would YOU do? Heads OR stroker?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:31 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

Default RE: What would YOU do? Heads OR stroker?

get the heads with a small cc chamber which will bump compression...what cam?...jay's special?...

now with a block guy's unless he uses a dart/manOwar something beefy then it is useless blocks just like stock heads are a dime a dozen...the block will go before any piston or rod or even crank breaks...

arp bolts and studs will ensure all the other doubt in this...

one more thing i have destroyed quite a few "strokers 331/347 with decent heads..and i'm not B.S.'N

Old 09-29-2006, 07:10 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FullAuto
I mean not some GT40 crap. Something like a decent Twisted Wedge, AFR 165, Canfield 170. Something in the $1100-1300 range.
Oh, I thought you meant GT40s or something like thumper heads when you said decent. I'm still going with heads. There's no point in pulling out your whole engine unless you have to, just my opinion.

ORIGINAL:88BlueGT
Also, FullAuto... why are you asking this? Im very shocked...

Re-read the original post man.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:23 PM
deadcarnahans
3rd Gear Member

C.

A and B would be a waste of time and money, with dismal results.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Simple AFR 185 heads!!!!!!! Then put a blower or turbo on it!!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2006, 11:52 PM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

A stock motor even with a carb and intake is not going to make 1rwhp per cubic inch. Adding 29ci to it is going to give you less than 29rwhp. I think a decent set of heads will definately give you more power. In fact, I know it will.

A guy on another website built a 331 and put stock heads on it and a 150 shot. It's gutted and carbed. IF he would have said he was just trying to see what he could get out of stock heads, I'd have left it alone. Instead he said he was doing a "budget" build and wanted the "most" for his money.

So another guy asks why he didn't just buy heads to put on his stock shortblock (and use the same intake and carb). The guy becomes a smartass and says he's making better power and running faster. I challenged him to find a single stroker motor from that site that was slower (non-modular). I then told him I could find at least 8 stock shortblock cars that ran quicker, at a heavier weight, with smaller cams and EFI. The site only has a little over 400 forum members and a majority of them are modular guys. The guy couldn't get a single person to support his side. I named 4 stock shotblock combos, all with smaller cams, more weight and EFI running over .5 seconds quicker including 1 over a full second quicker.

The real killer was when an extremely similiar car came on and posted he ran ~.7 quicker at the same weight, with a carb, less cam, same nitrous shot but on a stock shortblock. It ran quicker N/A too. And for you guys thinking it was suspension, it wasn't. The 60' was comparable but the stock shortblock car still trapped higher (i.e. more power). It was cheaper to build also. The guy really got his feelings hurt when he found out the car was making less than 300rwhp N/A and still trapping higher at the same weight.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:34 AM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

ORIGINAL: deadcarnahans

C.

A and B would be a waste of time and money, with dismal results.
How do you figure that? My good friend had a 5.0 that was going well into the 11's N/A on a bone stock 100k plus mile short block with a set of TW's, the short block was so bad that it burned oil because the bores were out of round. Heads are, and always have been the key to making power. The answer is simple.
Old 09-30-2006, 12:53 AM
stocksuspension
2nd Gear Member

i dont y everyone doggs the gt40 stuff.. im running mid 12s with stock intake stock injectors and mass airflow and throttel body and gt40s... i have the factory hpipe no pulleys no boltons no gimmiky ****... time after time i hussle people with better so called setups..... y buy heads that make good power at .600 lift.. our cars cant even rev over 6250 cuz the eec..
Old 09-30-2006, 12:54 AM
bluegill
1st Gear Member

How fresh is the 5.0 shortblock? Could one choose any factory casting for the "stock" heads? Same factory cam in both scenarios?

I personally would choose a fresh blueprinted 331 shortblock with reworked pre '78 ( ideally 69-70) 351 heads over a worn out high mileage factory 5.0 shortblock with the aftermarket heads.

We have all gotten spoiled with the current after market offerings for cylinder heads, back in the day we used the early 351 heads with Chevy 1.94/1.6 valves and enlarged the exhaust ports , cc and polished the combustion chambers and port matched the intake side. We held our own... JMHO

Mike
Old 09-30-2006, 01:09 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Yes I picked right.......

HEADS HEADS HEADS!!!!!!
Old 09-30-2006, 01:17 AM
FullAuto
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bluegill

How fresh is the 5.0 shortblock? Could one choose any factory casting for the "stock" heads? Same factory cam in both scenarios?

I personally would choose a fresh blueprinted 331 shortblock with reworked pre '78 ( ideally 69-70) 351 heads over a worn out high mileage factory 5.0 shortblock with the aftermarket heads.

We have all gotten spoiled with the current after market offerings for cylinder heads, back in the day we used the early 351 heads with Chevy 1.94/1.6 valves and enlarged the exhaust ports , cc and polished the combustion chambers and port matched the intake side. We held our own... JMHO

Mike
Interesting you say that. They guy I'm refering to has a set of (by his words) heavily ported C9 351 heads. He is still getting KILLED by stock shortblock, aftermarket heads cars that are heavier with EFI. The guy's car is gutted, has a stroker and is still running over a full second behind the top stock shortblock car on the board (again, which is heavier, has EFI, has a smaller cam and uses the same nitrous shot). The carb stroker guy also has a TFS Stage 3 cam. None of the stock shortblock guys can get close to that. He's got all the advantages and simply doesn't make the horsepower. Suspension isn't even a valid arguement here. The guy can't trap the mph with the other guys either.

I had a stock shortblock with E7s, EFI, 500lbs more raceweight, an AOD and only ran .2 behind his times with the same nitrous shot.

Honestly, I think there is more wrong with his car than just the heads. I do not believe a set of heads would pick him up to the level as the heavier, EFI cars are running. He's a huge idiot but I think it's funny he sticks by his "budget" arguement when he's spent more money on his shortblock than everyone else did on heads to make less power. He's definately under 300rwhp N/A.

Quick Reply: What would YOU do? Heads OR stroker?