5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

In regards to idle surge and idle hanging

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 09:43 AM
88_GT_5.0

Default In regards to idle surge and idle hanging

Hello everyone.

I have a 1988 GT 5.0 Fox Body.

I have fought with my idle surging and idle hanging for over a year now. I have tried every single piece of advice you guys had given me, yet it continued.

Well, I have FINALLY gotten my baby fixed and wanted to share a few details with everyone in hopes that it may help some other person on this forum.

1st, just to let you know, I had done the Base Idle Rest, TPS adjustment, Cleaned the Idle Air Control...and actually repeated these steps numerous times. I also checked for codes and did initially see I was throwing an EGR code, which I fixed by replacing my EGR Sensor.

I finally even broke down and purchased a brand new Idle Air Motor (Motorcraft-$80) and a brand new TPS (Another $50.00).

When that did not help, I resorted to what I thought was my last hope in fixing her before I took her to the scrap yard LOL....I completely removed the Intake, EGR plate and Throttle Body. I then completely cleaned everything up all nice a pretty and put her all back together with all new gaskets, all new vacuum hoses, etc....

Well, she still did it...grrrr

A good friend of mine just happened to have a 1990 Bronco with a 351 and his started to surge like mine. He took his to a mechanic and it was diagnosed as being the Fuel Pressure Regulator...go figure....well, I took his advice and bought myself a brand new Fuel Pressure Regulator (Another $30.00) and lo-and-behold, my idle surge was gone...man was I ever happy to see it, but alas, the idle hanging was still there....

So I broke down and took my car to a local mechanic....I cringed at the thought of what they would charge me yet hoping they could fix her.

This is the part I really want to share.....my Throttle Body "Plate" or "Butterfly" was actually not perfectly aligned inside of the Throttle Body. While it all appeared to me at least, to be functioning smoothly, it was somehow dragging ever so slightly and that is what was causing my idle to "hang" when I would give it throttle. And more good news is that the mechanic only charged me for one hour's labor ($70.00)...the best darned $70.00 I ever spent in my opinion.

So you guys out there who are still having these crazy idle issues may want to check your Fuel Pressure Regulator AND your Throttle Body Plate for perfect alignment before you go and do what I did and start throwing new parts at it....lol

My car now runs almost perfect and I couldn't be happier.

Just wanted to share my experience with everyone and maybe one of the moderators could sticky it if you feel it would help someone.

Thanks for all of your help in the past too everyone

Old 09-30-2006, 10:11 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: In regards to idle surge and idle hanging

Congrats man, glad you got it taken care of.