5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

How does this motor look as a candidate for a 351W swap?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 07:18 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

Default How does this motor look as a candidate for a 351W swap?

Hi everbody -

A friend of mine and I went to a local junkyard today to look for a 351W swap. We ran across a '90 F250 with this under the hood...odo read 47,000, but there is no 100,000s digit:

Is this a roller block? If not, would it bolt up in my stang well? I'm relatively sure that it's not a roller block. They want $150 for the engine (any engine, its a set price) and I have to pull it. Sorry I didn't get any better pics but my phone was full after that one.

(we also found one in a bronco but it was kinda a POS)
Old 09-30-2006, 07:37 PM
primetime5.0
6th Gear Member

Default RE: How does this motor look as a candidate for a 351W swap?

nope not a roller, but you can buy special lifters to fit a roller cam into it
Old 09-30-2006, 10:04 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

bump for more opinions...it can be mine for $150.
Old 09-30-2006, 11:39 PM
ZachW04Stang
5th Gear Member

I take it you were at crazy rays? I'd definitly rebuild it, at least hone the cylinders, new rings, gaskets, bearings, and probably turn the crank. It should run pretty good after that as long as the cylinder walls aren't pitted, then you might have to get the block bored.

Oh yeah I figured out why no one was at jimmy cone or the home depot tonight. Jimmy cone is on the 1st and 3rd saturday, home depot is on the 2nd and 4th. Today is the 5th so there was no show. Go figure. Next saturday is the jimmy cone again.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:29 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ZachW04Stang

I take it you were at crazy rays? I'd definitly rebuild it, at least hone the cylinders, new rings, gaskets, bearings, and probably turn the crank. It should run pretty good after that as long as the cylinder walls aren't pitted, then you might have to get the block bored.

Oh yeah I figured out why no one was at jimmy cone or the home depot tonight. Jimmy cone is on the 1st and 3rd saturday, home depot is on the 2nd and 4th. Today is the 5th so there was no show. Go figure. Next saturday is the jimmy cone again.
Yeah...we went to crazy rays today. I'm just not sure if I want to waste my time and money on a non roller block. I'm going to try the mt. airy yard next weekend to see what they come up with.

Sucks about the show, someday I may actually make one, lol.

I'm really hoping to get vristangs opinion on this motor.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:09 AM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Non roller blocks are ok, you just have to order the right cam. a custom cam would be best.
something about a "small base circle cam" and you use the linked conversion lifters.

I wouldn't worry about using that block, but would definately do a re-build on it, before
going thru the trouble of the swap.

I built my short block up using stock and rods, and just used forged pistons and ARP connecting bolts.
stock crank is good to about 500+hp

If you plan on boost later, maybe get some for forged rods too.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:48 AM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

bump for more opinions!
Old 10-01-2006, 12:00 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Definitly grab it, it does not matter if its a roller block or not, you can get just as good a cam setup for a non roller block as you can for a roller block.

The price is right.... why the hell not?
Old 10-01-2006, 12:02 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Power wise, you'll never notice the difference of a non-roller cam. Its just mainly for the less wear and tear, in the long run...150,000+ miles a roller block really shines because of the better wear charitaristics, but for a 100,000-120,000 mile built motor, a flat hydralic block is fine. Isky Cams have some awesome off the shelf grinds for flat hydraulic cams, or Call Comp and get a Custom grind. Some people say a roller motor will put out more hp than a non roller motor, but if thats true...its not more than 5-6hp at the most.

If you do buy that block, ask them to crank the motor first, see if it smokes, that'll tell you alot about the engine. Most junk yards will put the engne on a stand and crank it for you if your looking to buy it.
Old 10-01-2006, 12:37 PM
VigCS
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88stangaruu

Power wise, you'll never notice the difference of a non-roller cam. Its just mainly for the less wear and tear, in the long run...150,000+ miles a roller block really shines because of the better wear charitaristics, but for a 100,000-120,000 mile built motor, a flat hydralic block is fine. Isky Cams have some awesome off the shelf grinds for flat hydraulic cams, or Call Comp and get a Custom grind. Some people say a roller motor will put out more hp than a non roller motor, but if thats true...its not more than 5-6hp at the most.

If you do buy that block, ask them to crank the motor first, see if it smokes, that'll tell you alot about the engine. Most junk yards will put the engne on a stand and crank it for you if your looking to buy it.
Unfortunately Crazy Rays is a "You pick it, you pull it, no refunds or exchanges" junkyard.

Quick Reply: How does this motor look as a candidate for a 351W swap?