5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:08 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

Default RE: how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--

If your looking for cheap tools Harbore frieght Is good they have everything in that store we ahve one in Vineland ,NJ and I bought some stuff like pulley pullers , punches /chissle sets, and some impact socket theire and they hold up pretty good. Plus they are cheep if they break throw it way buy another one or inmost cases take it back and get one under warrenty for free
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PONY GUY

If your looking for cheap tools Harbore frieght Is good they have everything in that store we ahve one in Vineland ,NJ and I bought some stuff like pulley pullers , punches /chissle sets, and some impact socket theire and they hold up pretty good. Plus they are cheep if they break throw it way buy another one or inmost cases take it back and get one under warrenty for free

where in vineland?? I travel there for work sometimes
Old 10-02-2006, 12:42 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

on delse drive I block past the burger king behind the sears building go to their website www.harborfreight.com it has there exact adress and a map
Old 10-02-2006, 12:44 AM
89stanglx
3rd Gear Member

Other than what has already posted, little things like a nice foam mat to lay on is nice, a drop light, extension cords, several scrap pieces of pipe to put on the end of a breaker bar or for prying. fluid catch pan. gasket scaper "puddy knife". A parts tray bin. Also never buy tools from a auto parts store unless your just buying a socket or something your missing because there prices are very high.
Kmart has cheap toolsets and decent quality "benchtop" brand and guarenteed, LOWE'S also has a gaurantee on tools and i have returned a broken adjustable wrench there before to the service counter and got a free replacement. Most tools you will use dont need to be high quality, but get the job done.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:50 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

thats true about quaility I jus twont buy a sears tool ever again . I had a 3/8 ratched that was sliping under tourqe so i took it back and they gave a "rebuilt" peice of crap , it was in worse shape than mine . I told them get the key and get me a new one out of the self I dotn want somebodies rebuilt crappy ratchet . My tools are my living so spending 40 buck on a 3/8 ratchet form snapon dont bother me Ihave had it 5 years and ne ver had a problem once with it . Auto Zone has some good tools I think snapon make some of their tools thier ratchets look the same
Old 10-02-2006, 12:51 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

I turn wrenches full time during the summer and part time while I'm in school, 80% of my tools and my huge box is made by craftsman. For the newbs... You don't need to have cornwell, snap on, or mac to be a good mechanic/grease monkey, just need a tool to get the job done.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:00 AM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

That's weird...I busted a 3/8 drive ratchet working on my truck, and I brought it up to the counter and they gave me a brand new one out the door, no questions asked.

And 92hatchLx has the right idea, lol.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:06 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 92hatchLX

I turn wrenches full time during the summer and part time while I'm in school, 80% of my tools and my huge box is made by craftsman. For the newbs... You don't need to have cornwell, snap on, or mac to be a good mechanic/grease monkey, just need a tool to get the job done.
thats true in some case like sockets screwdrivers but craftsman ratchets are nothing to write home about I bought 2 in 1 year . I do Diesle work for bus company . I buy tools off the truck becuas eits easier for me most of they guy who work at my local sears a total retards and dont know crap about tools. Snapon has the best tool storage for the professional tech, but I started out with a craftsman "jewlery box" It good for the weekend mechainc I go ta sears box in my shed it has all my hand tools in it for when i was first starting out so i dont have to bring tools home to work on my car
Old 10-02-2006, 01:08 AM
PONY GUY
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FordMustangXBA

That's weird...I busted a 3/8 drive ratchet working on my truck, and I brought it up to the counter and they gave me a brand new one out the door, no questions asked.

Did they take it out of the glass case or form under the counter. If it was from under the counter it was a reman one.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:09 AM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

The only thing different that I like about snap on and cornwell is the handles on the ratchets, very grippy and comfortable unlinke craftmans flat handle. But I've busted way too many cornwell and snap on impact sockets it's not even funny.

Quick Reply: how about TOOL suggestions for newbies--