5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

97 mustang questions

Old 10-02-2006, 04:14 AM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

Default 97 mustang questions

I am looking at a car being sold on this site and I have a question about what the seller told me. I was talking to him about the car and he has had it for three months and that no one wants to buy it because the title says "not actual mileage" on it. The car is here: https://mustangforums.com/m_1883659/tm.htm The seller says it has 50,000 miles on it, which I don't have too much of a hard time believing due to the way the engine looks. The guy sounds genuine on the phone, so I believe him when he tells me this. Anyway, my question is: what does this mean?? Still, should I just not risk buying the car? Is it worth taking the risk for the price? Any input would be great.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/50446/94C3796372C24B118E1DFB5E39AFF3C3.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2006, 04:26 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: "NOT ACTUAL MILEAGE"?

Well go look at the car, i'd for sure try to talk him down more on the fact of "not actual mileage" . I read his thread about it, and sounds like he really wants to get rid of it. Cash talks, go up to him with around 5 grand cash, he'd prolly take it. Have you went and looked at the car yet ?
Old 10-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Sacmo
2nd Gear Member

Not actual milage could mean anything from blown motor (new one put in, thus milage difference) or odometer doesn't work... Anyway, take a hard close look... Look and listen for any possible problems (worn rotors, knocking noises, high idle, ect...) and go from there... May want to take someone with you for a second opinion... I would take the sounds sincere thing with a grain of salt (don't know the guy, he may be totally honest), I've seen several people buy a piece of junk becouse the seller sounded sincere...
Old 10-02-2006, 10:36 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

motor vs. chasis miles dont match or may have a salvage title, take caution into buying it! But i dont think anyone on here is deceteful
Old 10-02-2006, 10:46 AM
subhumantat
1st Gear Member

or in some states when the vehicle becomes 20 years old or older they exempt milage due to age like in wisconsin
Old 10-02-2006, 10:55 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

There's several reasons why it would say "not actual mileage"... The laws in most states are pretty strict about mileage, and anything that could alter actual mileage, such as a broken speedo, could result in being tagged as such... Dont let the mileage thing bother you too much... as it was said above, go check the car out and take a knowledgeable friend with you if you can...
Old 10-02-2006, 11:05 AM
Hawk
3rd Gear Member

I know in Virginia, when "not actual mileage" is checked, it usually means that the odometer does not have enough places to store the "hundred thousand" place. So once the car rolls over 100,000 miles, you wouldn't know it because essentially, the odometer is showing 0 miles. In your situation that would make me believe that the car has 150,000 miles, not 50,000 miles. I agree with 7up, take caution in this one.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:48 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

you guys are worried about it. well lets sit there and think how many times do ppl replace motors for new motors? my truck being 02 doesnt have its orgininal motor so you should be worried about it? no, the car might of had a mishap and hte motor was replaced. just like anything else. i wouldnt worry about it unless the car looked shady
Old 10-02-2006, 02:47 PM
freewilly
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: trickdriller

I am looking at a car being sold on this site and I have a question about what the seller told me. I was talking to him about the car and he has had it for three months and that no one wants to buy it because the title says "not actual mileage" on it. The car is here: https://mustangforums.com/m_1883659/tm.htm The seller says it has 50,000 miles on it, which I don't have too much of a hard time believing due to the way the engine looks. The guy sounds genuine on the phone, so I believe him when he tells me this. Anyway, my question is: what does this mean?? Still, should I just not risk buying the car? Is it worth taking the risk for the price? Any input would be great.

Thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/50446/94C3796372C24B118E1DFB5E39AFF3C3.jpg[/IMG]
some cars say that cause they might have come from an auction yard .
Old 10-02-2006, 02:52 PM
trickdriller
4th Gear Member

I have not looked at the car yet. It is in Michigan, and I am in DC so when I look at it, I had better be sure I want it. About the odometer thing, does the meter only go to 99,999 in a 97? I didn't think it did, but I could be wrong. Also, if I go and look at it, what am I looking/listening for? Knocks I can understand, but what about the high idle? What does that mean? Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for? I like the car, with the exception of the grey interior, and I will buy it if all is well (especially with only 50k miles).

On another note, how is the performance of a stock 97 GT? This will be my first mustang and the only ones I have riden in are the 2000 or newer. How is the acceleration on the earlier ones? Will it get up and move like the 2000 models will? ANY input at all would be great.

Thanks a lot

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 mustang questions