5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Question on a leak?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:37 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default Question on a leak?

Ok, I got new tires on the GT yesterday. It had some little ghetto tires on it so I went back with the stock size tire. Firestone Fuzions. Then I went home and started sanding and priming the car.

Well, this morning I decided that since it had not had gas in it for a while, I'll make a run to the store and fill up. On my way out of the store, I noticed something dripping rapidly from under the car. It seems as if the tank has a major leak somewhere around the rear near the top. The gas gauge hasnt dropped any yet, but the damned car is still leaking. I had to roll it out of the garage so it would stop smelling my house up.

This is my question. I guess I'll go get a new tank and new everything. I know I need to remove all the gas that's left (93 octane btw) and then remove the filler neck. Then I think I would drop the straps and lower the tank enough to try and get to the fuel pump on top. Is this correct or is there an access panel inside the car to remove the pump instead? And what is the easiest way to remove that tank since the car is so low?

Also, where is a cheap place to get a stock tank? I looked at www.50resto.com but they want like $175 for it plus the installation kit that comes with everything brand new which I will be using.

Sorry guys. I am brand new to Stangs but have wanted one for 20 years. So I am EAGER to learn from the pros!