5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Cheapest gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 04:45 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Cheapest gas tank?

You could always inspect it while you are there. PLUS, even if it doesnt work most junkyards have warranties on parts believe it or not. Its a contract or anything but just before you leave ask them if it doesnt work can you bring it back... 99% of the time they will say yea.
Old 10-04-2006, 05:02 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I am still having no luck with that siphon in getting the gas out. I have been watching it leak for 3 days now onto my grass. Am I doing something wrong? For some reason it just will not go down into the tank. Any possible reasons for this? I need to get this tank out asap before I wind up getting blown up. Also, no one answered on the fuel pump. Do I need to drop it first before removing the pump, or is there an access panel underneath the carpet? Thanks so much for the great info so far!!
Old 10-04-2006, 06:29 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

No you will need to drop the tank....
Old 10-04-2006, 06:33 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Am I the only person who goes to junkyards for this kind of stuff? [&:]

Go to a junkyard and get one for like $30 bucks!
+1

There not that hard to drop either. What sux is around here they sometimes puncture the gas tanks to drain before droping them in the yard.
Old 10-04-2006, 06:37 PM
5.0 MPG
4th Gear Member

The hose is probably getting caught on the end of the filler tube. twist it around and shove it down there. your going to have to manuever it around while your siphoning anyway to get all the gas out or at least most of it.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I finally got 3/4 of it out today. It isnt leaking anymore at all. The tank is bone dry outside now. So I'll probably drive the last little bit out and then drop the tank. I am ordering the tank and the new hardware tonight. I also got the passenger door in primer after taking care of some rust spots. Over all a productive day considering I have a sick kid at home. Tomorrow I go back to work so it will have to wait for Sunday since I work Saturdays.

I'll get some more pics up soon. Looks different now being mostly in primer. Someone stole my hood from my yard the other day. I didnt mind the hood cause it was destroyed, but they got my latch as well and I needed that piece.....

Oh well. Thanks for the help guys. Next is the radiator so I can drive it to my father in laws body shop to get it on the frame machine...
Old 10-04-2006, 11:52 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

I finally got 3/4 of it out today. It isnt leaking anymore at all. The tank is bone dry outside now. So I'll probably drive the last little bit out and then drop the tank. I am ordering the tank and the new hardware tonight. I also got the passenger door in primer after taking care of some rust spots. Over all a productive day considering I have a sick kid at home. Tomorrow I go back to work so it will have to wait for Sunday since I work Saturdays.

I'll get some more pics up soon. Looks different now being mostly in primer. Someone stole my hood from my yard the other day. I didnt mind the hood cause it was destroyed, but they got my latch as well and I needed that piece.....

Oh well. Thanks for the help guys. Next is the radiator so I can drive it to my father in laws body shop to get it on the frame machine...

leave nothing out and trust no one......TRUST ME!!!

if the hood was trashed then they probably just needed the latch.

I had an old cowl hood that was WAY to flimsy, well i kept it in my back yard for the longest time waiting for someone to take it. well they finally did. couple of days later my gf and i were racing a blue mustang and i noticed his hood was wobblin under the wind pressure, so i kept racing him.....pretty soon on the highway WHOOOOOOOOSH. I went back and told him "thats why i never installed it" he just flipped me off and drove away.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:58 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 00limited7

Search on EBAY I was thinking of changing mine and found one on there for under a $100 bucks shipped. I didn't buy it I'm going to take mine off first before I buy. I just need to change the fuel pump, but was thinking while I had it out I'd just as well change the tank also.

I just posted a couple of days ago about this and someone posted this link: http://www.mustangcentral.net/tech/pumpinstall.html

Good luck and be safe.
1. go to walmart they have a gas tank siphon with a squeeze pump on it for $15, use that to siphon MOST of the gas out.
2. Get a floor jack, not that scissor jack crap a hydraulic floor jack, also $15 at walmart
3. Raise the jack to the center of the protective cover on the tank (dont raise the tank just barely touch it).
4. take the "holding" bolt out of the tank that holds the filler neck, i believe its an 8mm.
5. take the two tank straps loose 13mm or 1/2" which ever you prefer
6. take a magnet ( iuse a retractable one from autozone it was $1) and pull out the pins that hold the straps in place (makes it ALOT easier)
7. lower the tank about 5" then slide the filler neck out of the tank (its easier when you wiggle the tank towards the front of the car then back to the rear) while you get a helper to support the tank
8. balance the tank on the jack while you lower the jack completely

before you replace the tank, MAKE sure you replace the filler neck to tank seal if you dont believe me ask 865.0L.

i hope this helped you out a lil bit
damn im good :-) i remembered more than i thought.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Yea thats cool. Im going after a 2 1/2 in steel hood anyway. Dont like the fiberglass hood and since I am not building this with the specific intentions of racing it, weight wont matter that much.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:02 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

y are you replacing ur tank? rinse it out with soap and detergent and have it repaired, cheaper than a new one. Midas loves this kind of work

Quick Reply: Cheapest gas tank?