5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

what is it about the 5.0???

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:18 AM
89MustangMan
1st Gear Member

Default what is it about the 5.0???

Hey guys, I was sitting here today thinking about the first time i fell in love with the 5.0. Whats your story?

I was 11 years old and we used to go camping up in NH (im from Mass). We used to go up the beach a lot and I would always see this guy in a white GT convertable with chrome rims driving around. I was amazed! I immediatly fell in love. It wasn't just the appearance but the sound as well. The 5.0 has that distinctive sound that can be distiguished a mile away. I already couldn't wait to get my license (had to be 16.5 yrs old in mass at the time) so i was still a ways away. But I set it in my head that some day i will own one of those bad boys. Years pasted and I got my license. My dad had his old 87 Lincoln Town car the got handed down to me. It still had the 302 in it but wasn't the same. I used to call that my pimp ride. haha. Anyways, I was not allowed to have a Mustang because they knew i would kill myself. At the time i was probablt too immature to have a car like that anyways. So, at the age of 19 a girl from my work was selling her 89 GT. I was after her for years to sell that car to me so when she wanted to get rid of it she called me up first. I paid $2000 for it. At the time it was a second car, I bought the thing 2 days before thanksgiving. I pulled it into my garage and worked on it for hours upon end all winter long. By the end of April, $10,000 later I had my mustang I was dying for for years. Almost everything on it was new. I am now 26 and still own the car but decided it was time to grow up so about 2 months ago I started to part it out ( I knew I would get more money for it that way). It killed me to see it like that. Anyways, last thurday a buddy of mine asked for my help working on his 91 LX so i went over and ended up spending the day there working on it. His friend was there with an 89 vert too. So after the day working on his car i realized I was a moron for selling my car. I went online and convieniantly found an 88 with T-tops right up the street from me for $1500. The next day i went to see it and offered the guy $900. He took my offer and I took the car...Now, Im back to ordering parts and spending ridiculous amounts of money on it already. So far i bought some Ford Racing "C" springs and the energy suspensions bushing kit. I am also thinking of purchasing the QA1 K-member. I have many other parts left over from my other stang including mint black interior, a nice motor and 17" chrome Cobra R's. Here is some pics of the old and new....sorry for the long post, but I was just wondering if anyone else wanted to share their stories....Nick

Old 10-04-2006, 12:28 AM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Default RE: what is it about the 5.0???

I first fell in love with them when i was about to get a car when i had just turned 16, i had the august 2004 issue of 5.0 Mustangs and Superfords. First Ford anything i had ever bought, i was dead nuts on getting a LS1 SS Camaro or an older Nova or something, but i saw a few fixed up 5.0's around and really liked them, partly because they were still new enough to be reliable transportation but old enough to be priced reasonably and still have an old school feel to them...well i bought the August 2004 issue of 5.0 mag. as i said (i still have this magazine and will never get rid of it.)
Well i got to flipping through the pages and i saw this one pic...i dunno why, but it stuck in my head and it was a pic of Larry Gedde's (mr.open comp) LX hatch coming off the line, it was white and had the 'Denso iridium power' sponsor sticker across the hood of it. With those fat Mickey THompson slicks on the back, God...that was THE picture that set me off. Its no different than 100 other Mustang pics, its not even the nicest mustang in the mag...but the way it looked coming off the line...slightly sideways, the front end jerking up....i knew then i had to have a Mustang. I dunno why to this day that pic stood out to me...but i love 5.0's now and wouldnt trade mine for the world.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:29 AM
90mustang5.8
I ♥ Acer

i was 13 and i loved the 80's camaro's then i saw a 81 mustang cobra and wanted to buyy it until i was 15 then the owner sold it to some one else, then i found a 90 lx at 16 now that's wat i havvve.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:49 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

i first didn't like foxes that much when i first got into mustangs... but i kind always liked mustangs cause my dad had 3 at one point (1 64 1/2 msuatng red with white top convertable, and 2 66's 1 GT one not and the not was converted to a GT) but when he brought home a fox (the one i got now) he tried to sell it but didn't work out and then i kinda needed a car (long story involving an old lady that couldn't drive) so he let me drive it and then i fell in love... still need to pay him for it (he got it for 1900)

but yea... wasn't love at first sight but it was love at first flight
Old 10-04-2006, 12:52 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

simple, one of the smallest cars around with a big v-8

highly modifyable
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

well for the longest time i wanted a truck and thought mustangs were girl cars(because all i ever saw were 99-04 v6s at my highschool, all driven by girls, dont worry that thought is long gone) but then a waitress i work w. got a 96 cobra for like 12000 or something, regardless it was in my price range at the time for a truck... so i started thinking, fast car...not a bad idea. so i looked alot at them and over time i got more realistic and my budget lowered to about 5000 untimatly. i looked at everything, 99-04s, 94-98s, lt1s, ls1s, never really payed the foxes any attention... then i dont know what it was, but i started liking them. and began to love the body style. so thats about the time i found this site and learned alot about them, specs, performance and what not. and the more i read the more i liked them. so by now i was set on getting one, just a matter of finding that perfect one. it had to be black or white, gt, hatch, and ofcourse a 5-speed. and also, decent milage (under 100k). it took me 6 months, countless sightings on the net of some for sale, about 7-10 that i went and looked at in person to finally find mine. and when i did it was 3 and a half hours away at a dealer(big plus for me, i could trade in my old car(99 cougar v6) and was white, hatch gt, and stick... w. 66k on it. so went and looked at it, almost had the deal fall through, but it all worked out in the end and i was driving my mustang home < about a month ago. now that i have it ill never get rid of it, it might not be my dd forever, but itll still be mine, i can promise yall that. i love these cars, to me they are what a mustang is.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:54 AM
91stang
4th Gear Member

well when i first got it i knew **** about mustangs but my hunger for more horses overtook me and i found this site
Old 10-04-2006, 12:56 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

haha plain and simple - my dad made me
Old 10-04-2006, 01:01 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

damn, wish my dad made me buy a stang, thatd be bad ***. but dont get me wrong, he has no probs w. me havin it what soever... and knows how fast it is, and that i race it , and knows my plans for it, etc etc... hes all for it... < i know, im lucky that there not against it all.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:02 AM
Stevens91gt
5th Gear Member

haha..well my dad bought it
and told me i had to keep it
im glad he did that..or else id have a 94-95 [8D]
haha jkk sn's

Quick Reply: what is it about the 5.0???