5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Switching to carb

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 10:11 AM
jcash1995

Default RE: Switching to carb

This is the write-up I've used before.
http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/e...b/efi-carb.htm
Have Fun..........I hope you like wiring
Old 10-06-2006, 12:07 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

^^ Jasons fletchers site is about the bible for the carb conversion.

BTW...a manual fuel pump would be cheaper/simpler to do.

Its not recomended to run an EFI pump with a carb and just turn the pressure down with a regulator because they've been known to blow through a regulator with a 40+psi EFI pump. Its just not a reliable way to set the fuel system up.

Also, you can make a sump pickup with the stock pump bracket in the tank, just get some fuel line and take the stock pump out of the harness and then run a metal pickup to make up the distance from the top of the harness to where the bottom of the pump used to be. This is the way we did it on a friends. Worked perfect.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM
hunterzach_02
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the info. This should really help. You guys doing anything next weekend?
Old 10-06-2006, 01:17 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hunterzach_02

Didnt think about the 85 and earlier tanks. I married into a family that has a salvage yard, so that wont be a problem to get As long as I can find one that looks clean. If I get the tank and run the lines, would I have to get a fuel pressure regulator still?
No, the '85 and earlier tanks dont have a pump inside. You can either run a electric pump, or get a hi-flow mechanical (thats what I run), the mechanical mounts to the side of the timing cover, so you MIGHT need a new timing cover if yours doesnt have the hole for it. Its on the left side of the block, right next to the oil pressure sending unit.
As for the tanks, even if they have some rust, etc. take it to a rad shop, theyll hot tank it, pressure test it, and paint er up all pretty for you. Theyd prolly do all that for around 30-40 bux.
-P.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:05 PM
5IVE.OH
3rd Gear Member

I tore all the FI **** out of my car, got donor parts from an 82GT, IE the wiring and duraspark II ignition, also used the dizzy from it. Get a regulator set to 6PSI. It's not hard at all, just pinch off the return line.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:08 PM
hunterzach_02
1st Gear Member

It seems like most of you guys are recommending the mechanical pump, any particular reason? I am leaning towards the electric just so I dont have to swtich timing chain covers. The motor has < 10,000 on it so there is no need to replace anything while I would have the timing chain cover off.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
tokinGLX
duke of herb

with an electric pump you will have a constant tapping sound(the sound of the pump pumping) so it is a slight inconvenience. however, you do have the option with that to wire it to a toggle switch and have an additional measure in anti theft
Old 10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

It seems like most of you guys are recommending the mechanical pump, any particular reason? I am leaning towards the electric just so I dont have to swtich timing chain covers. The motor has < 10,000 on it so there is no need to replace anything while I would have the timing chain cover off.
The mechanical pump is driven off of an eccentric ring that mounts to the front of the cam. So basically itll increase flow and pressure according to engine rpm, while the elecetric pump maintains x amount of pressure at all times, which is uneccessary on a carb. If it doesnt have a fuel return setup itll still send the same amount of fuel at idle as it would at 6000 rpm. In essence waste gas.
-P.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:34 PM
88stangaruu
5th Gear Member

Most 87-93 Timing covers have a boss on the side that you have to cut out the inside for the mechanical pump to mount to. Or get a vintage timing cover and remove the two studs sticking out of the front of the 5.0 roller motors block that the timing cover alignes to so the older timing cover will fit. Every 5.0 ive torn down had an eccentic on the timing gear, go figure

Mechanical pumps are generally easier to mess with, simpler, no wiring, etc. Plus as P zero said they're rpm dependant so they only supply the amount of gas the engine needs at the time. Cheaper also.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

. The motor has < 10,000 on it so there is no need to replace anything while I would have the timing chain cover off.
Theres nothing to replace but you could do a cam swap while youre in there.
-P.

Quick Reply: Switching to carb