5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 01:25 AM
JonBlaze68

Default WTF!!!

OK i am seriously getting mad while modding my 95 GT...everytime i buy parts and take them to my mechanic the installation never goes smoothly. i just recently bought a off road h-pipe and cat back exhaust from MAC,so i took the parts to him all bolt on kit and he say one of the pipe from the header to the h-pipe is touching the transmition crossmember..which will rattle..i am 99% sure i bought the right parts has anyone running a MAC exhaust setup like mine have these install problems? Or do you think it is the guy installing all my parts this is the third part i have had him install and things are always messed up. first it was the control arms then he said i had to remove my exhaust to weld my subframe connectors, now this!! It makes me not want to mod my stang anymore i need help...my stang is a 95 GT auto Please help guys. All the parts ive been buying are all steeda and this mac exhaust this stuff should all be bolt on!!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:29 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

Default RE: WTF!!!

....why do you take your car to a mechanic to put bolt-ons on? im 17 and i put flowmasters on my car alone! (more to come after xmas!!!!)
Old 10-07-2006, 01:33 AM
onetrickpony
3rd Gear Member

Do it yourself,next time he bitches tell him to shove it up his ***. Sometimes everything doesnt go on perfectly. If you do it yourself you will start to learn all about your car and it really is alot of fun.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:36 AM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

yea it is alot of fun, except when the stock pipe slipped out of my hand and the flange hit my eye brow, i have a gap/scar on my eyebrow now
Old 10-07-2006, 01:40 AM
anthonydalrymple
3rd Gear Member

Cool down, think for a minute, & grab a beer out of the fridge.... If you are ever going to last in the "modification game"; then get used to it. Aftermarket parts are not Ford factory replacement or origional parts that bolt into position "perfecty". You'd already know this if you did you're own work IMHO. Secondly, you're chassis is not new; it has quite a few years on it. If the motor mounts have sagged and or the chassis "flexed" a bit out of factory spec; there can be crossmember & other item interference issues to deal with. For example: I bought a Magnaflow stainless catted x-pipe for my car. Expensive? Yes.... But i wanted something of high quality & long lasting trouble free durability. Guess what? The headpipe section didn't even come close to fitting the shorty headers; the spacing was way off. I ended up using a floor jack to "pry" the left & right tubes further apart to line up properly. 4 tries later; it's bolted up like it was intended to be. I proudly fired the car up & drve off into the sunset. Came to my first stoplight & I hear this awful rattle through the floorboard. The x-pipe on the passenger side was hitting the crossmember. I notched the crossmember & haven't had a problem since..... It took me about 6 hours to get that 2 hour(if that) job done right..... After awhile; you'll learn to get used to it & expect it..... You'll have additional tools, bracket material, bolts washers, beer, a friend, etc & have a contingency plan.... Knowing it will not go smoothly....
Old 10-07-2006, 01:40 AM
94gtcoupe
5th Gear Member

i had the problem on my 94 gt with the bbk o/r h-pipe, it's because the make them for the fox and just send those to us[:@] i took mine to a pipe bender and had 3degrees unbent on both sides and it fits but i wouldn't suggest that much of a bned more like 1 or 2 mine hangs about 1-2 inches to low but doesn't bother me
Old 10-07-2006, 02:09 AM
squad272
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ooticamitica

yea it is alot of fun, except when the stock pipe slipped out of my hand and the flange hit my eye brow, i have a gap/scar on my eyebrow now
^^^^+1 ITS NOT A PARTY UNTIL SOMEONE GET A FLANGE IN THE EYEBROW!!!!

I know very little, and with a bit of help here and a good neighbor, I just replaced an axle on my crown vic and then by myself had to PULL IT ALL APART and fix an antilock brake issue I created while replacing the axle.

Think of all the mods you can afford if you do it yourself.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:15 AM
LTnone
4th Gear Member

Time to find a new mechanic...

(I'd choose yourself, it's more fun that way)
Old 10-07-2006, 02:43 AM
Highplanezdrifter
1st Gear Member

no offense meant but dude... a mechanic for an h pipe and catback?! i built my first car when i was 16 (now only still 18). replaced the motor and rebuilt the newer one( .570 lift erson cam), new tranny, which i had to drop 3 times,( took out powerglide, then had trouble getting the right stall for my th350 (3500-3800 baby ) trust me dude, its MUCH more rewarding doing it by yourself man, and if ya run into trouble, that is what we're for!
Old 10-07-2006, 03:10 AM
JonBlaze68

i took it to my mechanic because it is my dads friend and he does the work at the dealership on the side for me. second of all he is charging me 200 bucks total and he has installed steeda upper and lower control arms, steeda rear adjustable rear swaybar, and steeda subframe connectors, so i think it is worth it to take it to him. i was changing the exhaust while he was working on everything else because he said he wouldnt charge me because it is all bolt on, but now it is not bolting up correctly and he wont just do a half a** job. I am just wondering if anyone else had this problem with MAC he said he could trim the part that wil be coming in contact, but he asked me if i ordered the right part. I looked online at MACs homepage and i ordered the correct one thats why i am asking the advice of you guys because some of you already have done this mod.

Quick Reply: WTF!!!