5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Well I just poured in some seafoam.

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:53 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Well I just poured in some seafoam.

Samseed, I guess you have a really clean motor! I also did it when I first got my 93 with 84K on it and it barely smoked at all. BUT I used it on my interpid with 30K and it smoked like a b*tch for like 10 mintues. I also used it on my friends jeep and he smoothed out his idle alot and the car revved alot smoother after that... it definetly works. Different people may experience different things but it does work. So far Ive used it on a 97 Jeep, 88 Stang, 93 Stang, 00 Intrepid and a 2000 Jimmy.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:50 PM
jjbg86
2nd Gear Member

so if you pour it into your fas tank to clean your injectors, does it matter how much gas u have in it? and do u just drive it normal after? thinking mine need a good cleaning
Old 10-11-2006, 02:51 PM
Foxy5.0

Well some older Fords had a Teflon film in their intake manifolds. I just remember hearing from one of my instructors not to spray carb cleaner or anything in some older Fords. Because it will brake loose the Teflon and gunk up the engine. This probably could be the smoking problem then.

I agree with aode. I have used that Mopar brand on my Jeep when the TB was solid black. It shinned it like new. I would have loved to have seen the inside of my engine after that.

I notice that when most people say "I pour it in my brake booster and don't notice any smoke." Are you actually pouring it in the brake booster or the booster’s vacuum line?
Old 10-12-2006, 05:02 AM
mrbigshot
3rd Gear Member

i use it in my gas tank only. it works excelent as a fuel stabilizer (stabil is crap believe it or not), and does a good of job as any other over the counter fuel cleaner. for small engines the best thing to do is run the engine for a while with seafoam in the tank and run it out of gas and store it like that for the off season, it wont varnish or gum up that way. ive done it for years on my lawnmowers, atv's, and snowmobiles. i learned it from an old mechanic that used to own a local atv dealership. he worked on machines for many years and its all he would ever do to his.

i use a quart of tranny fluid before an oil change to flush the engine. i had an old 78 f150 with a 400 in it and i used seafoam in the oil, it smoothed the idle out and made the engine run a little better. it has some gummy lifters in it and it cleaned them up alright.

i later bought a 79 f150 with another 400 in it and used tranny fluid, it cleaned more gunk out and the engine ran better for longer, its also about $4 cheaper.

some of the old street rods guys swear by slowly dumping a cup or 2 of water down the carb, they say it does the same thing as seafoam (it cleans the carbon off the same way, cold touching hot and steaming it). i have never tried it so i cant say it works or not.
Old 10-12-2006, 05:06 AM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i heard that two,and my uncle has done it in front of me...he used a spritz bottle..

hey you are good with 400 go to live chat need to talk more about my 400
Old 10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Foxy5.0
I notice that when most people say "I pour it in my brake booster and don't notice any smoke." Are you actually pouring it in the brake booster or the booster’s vacuum line?
I think it's implied that they're letting the brake booster vacuum line suck it up. Everyone knows that it should be put through a vacuum line. And it's safe to say that its a hell of a lot easier to get to the brake booster line than it is to get to the pcv valve and pull that line.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:45 PM
hayden
2nd Gear Member

i ran seafoam through mine and didnt get a bit of smoke...
Old 10-12-2006, 01:14 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, that's what happened to my Mustang when i did it. I thought maybe I screwed something up so I went out and bought another can for the Hyundai Accent. That thing smoked out the entire corner of my street! So I know I did it right. I guess my engine was as clean as I thought it was. Although I should have known... everyone says that the water / meth injections really help clean up the interior.
Old 10-13-2006, 04:34 AM
RealMcAssHole

Im thinkin ABout Doin it 2 My 95... How much For a bottle @ autozone?
if and when i do this... do u think i should change my plugs and oil after..?