5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Slowly making some progress. What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 06:39 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Slowly making some progress. What do you think?

I am going back factory two tone gray/silver.

I have always loved that color.

Hey, do any of you know how to get those damned torx bolts out of the nameplate on the intake? I cant get em to budge. Wanna take it off to repaint it as well.
ORIGINAL: gbtrout

It's coming along nicely. What color are you going with?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Im definetly going to try out that gloss aluminum color... it looks really sharp. I havent been able to find a nice silver yet though I will definetly look into that. Did you get it at autozone or something? Also, what happened when you took the lines off to your AC condensor?
Old 10-11-2006, 06:42 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

Hey, do any of you know how to get those damned torx bolts out of the nameplate on the intake? I cant get em to budge. Wanna take it off to repaint it as well.

Only way is to use a torx socket, along with a ratchet to make life easier. 1/4" socket, put the torx bit in there and use a ratchet, unless you actually have to proper socket for bits.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Go to autozone and buy the socket for them... I stripped mine a few days ago trying to take mine off to repaint. Not sure what Im going to do now lol I might just get my cut off wheel out and cut it off lol I have been dying to use that thing!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Im definetly going to try out that gloss aluminum color... it looks really sharp. I havent been able to find a nice silver yet though I will definetly look into that. Did you get it at autozone or something? Also, what happened when you took the lines off to your AC condensor?
*Swoooosh* Did it when I first bought my car as I was far too lazy to go all the way inside the shop to properly drain it
Old 10-11-2006, 06:44 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Yea I may have stripped one out today. I did that the other day to a screw trying to seperate the IAC the other day to clean it.
[:@]

Thanks for all the positive comments. Means a lot to me. Been wanting one of these for 20 years and finally have it. Its a bit rough, but I'll make a diamond out of it yet.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:45 PM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Go to autozone and buy the socket for them... I stripped mine a few days ago trying to take mine off to repaint. Not sure what Im going to do now lol I might just get my cut off wheel out and cut it off lol I have been dying to use that thing!
Cut off wheel :| you're gonna bastardize that poor plate :P use a drill to drill off the heads of the bolts and it'll pop off. Then drill out the rest of the screw and re-thread/heli-coil if necessary
Old 10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

I got it at Autozone next to Ford Gray. Also, nothing happened because nothing came off the car. Everything was masked off and painted as it sits so I couldnt tell ya. Im going back now to paint more.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:48 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Nah I was trying to TEMPORARILY repaint it. I have a street heat sitting at my house waiting to be installed. I might just cut out a hole in the plate to get to the bolts to get the manifold off.... no biggie [8D]
Old 10-11-2006, 09:44 PM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Well, really I guess I need to remove my manifold so I can get those valve covers off and get the gaskets replaced. So I guess I'll try again later. But I am trying not to drill out those screws since I want to reuse everything if possible. I'll probably go find that socket tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Slowly making some progress. What do you think?