5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Loosing Coolant Again...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 11:39 AM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Default Loosing Coolant Again...

Its not that big of a deal but I would just like to know where its all going... I flushed my system and filled up. About three weeks later my low coolant light came on. So I topped off again, now it just came on AGAIN this morning which will be almost another three weeks. So basically, every three weeks I go from topped off to right below the sensor. Anyone know where the hell all my coolant is going? Ive checked like three times for leaks and found nothing, checked the ground and even got under the car and looked and felt for leaks and couldnt find anything. Also, my heatercore is good so its not that. Any suggestions? Like I said, its not that big of a deal but I would just like to know since its not normal. Thanks guys.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Loosing Coolant Again...

Could be going out the exhaust due to bad head gasket(s). Thats what mine is doing.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:04 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I guess its a possibility but I dont think so. Im not showing any signs of blown head gaskets. The car runs fine, no overheating, nothing. Runs perfect.... just loosing coolant like crazy for some reason.
Old 10-12-2006, 01:30 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

mines doing the same thing...i'm running straight water though (i know, i know [&o]) so i'm thinking some might be evaporating...
Old 10-12-2006, 02:15 PM
Smitty98RT
1st Gear Member

Sounds similar to mine. I dont have an overflow tank on mine so when coolant runs into the overflow hose near the gas cap it just falls on the ground, I THINK thats where mine is going....but yeah mines about every 3 weeks too.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:22 PM
dillon1340
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

I guess its a possibility but I dont think so. Im not showing any signs of blown head gaskets. The car runs fine, no overheating, nothing. Runs perfect.... just loosing coolant like crazy for some reason.
i have same problem. have no idea where it's going and compression test shows all seems fine. no leaks. anyone know?
Old 10-12-2006, 02:30 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 88BlueGT

Mine is the same way.
It never even comes close to overheating and theres no coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant and it runs fine.

It does stink like something burning after driving it awhile though.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:42 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i suggest you all do a leak down test....if you are pouring water every top off you might have a little evaporation but nothing serious.
Old 10-12-2006, 02:59 PM
93must
3rd Gear Member

When the water pump goes bad they have a little weap hole in the bottom that will start leaking water. I think it usually only comes out when the car is running so you wouldnt see anything on the ground when it is sitting. And when you are driving it just runs down the front of the motor and evaporates! So you wouldnt notice it there either. Get under the car and look up at your water pump and see if you see a stain under it or it is damp. This would not make your car overheat either its just a sign that the pump is going bad.
Old 10-12-2006, 03:24 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

you will see coolant when a weep hope blows out......like i said....rent the tool and check for pressure drops

Quick Reply: Loosing Coolant Again...