5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Looking at a '90 GT..

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Looking at a '90 GT..

Why is there a "supercharged" emblem on it ? Its not superchargd, is it ?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

If you have motor pics, you should post them up too. I dont see why anyone would put a supercharged emblem on if its not supercharged, unless it used to be supercharged and isnt now. Whats the verdict ?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:10 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

I have those emblems!!

[8D]
Old 10-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Deuces

When I talked to him on the phone the other day, he said it was supercharged. Sadly, I don't have motor pics. The Supercharged emblem is on the dashboard, too. If I get the chance to have him open it up for me, I'll take pictures.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:22 PM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

the wheels would have to go and the other things are cosmetic. i see signs of a tad of rust on the hatch but nothing bad that i can see but id make sure it wasnt that bad. car looks pretty good from what the pics show though. also if it really has a supercharger and if so how does it run then you have to ask your self is it worth it to you. a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. like was said above the kbb is only for banks. not enthusiast.. good luck and keep us informed.

id buy it if it had a supercharger and good interior. a little tlc and youve got a great stang there.

-Ken
Old 10-14-2006, 03:57 AM
Deuces

The interior is nice from what I can tell. The front buckets have seat covers, but I think the guy was going for a "racing" feel to it, because he has various Ford Racing things inside. But the back seat is very nice, so I can only hope/assume that the front is just as good.

My dad's going to run the vin to the insurance company to get a quote to see if the rates go up, and after that there are a couple more barriers.

1. I need to learn how to drive stick. My dad has a manual Saturn Ion, so i'll be learning on that.
2. We need to see if I can get a big enough loan through my mom's credit union.

Supercharged engines take premium gas, right? Unleaded would probably wreak havoc, eh?
Old 10-14-2006, 04:01 AM
Deuces

Also, like I said before, I'm not a car guy, really. So, headers, possy rear, msd ignition.. Fill me in a little? I wanna learn about cars, but anywhere I go people throw terms at me like I have an idea. I really dont.

Old 10-14-2006, 07:25 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Well, all of that stuff mentioned on the "For Sale" sign could be stock, with the exception of the MSD ignition. Headers are exhaust manifolds, but our cars come stock with headers. Possy, which is actually posi--a chevy term referring to the type of rear end some cars have--just means that both wheels are connected (albeit loosely) for better traction. This feature comes stock on 5.0s. You should get a list of the specific aftermarket parts that are on the car, and post them so these cats can tell you what you're dealing with. Also, if you see/feel/hear anything wierd on the test drive, let us know before buying the car. Also, if you can't drive stick, let your dad test drive the bitch. I'd say if it's supercharged, and you don't mind doing some bodywork one day, and there's nothing wrong with the car, buy it--particularly if it comes with a warranty. You did say it was from a dealer, right? Seems a little odd the way they're selling it.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:01 AM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

You should ask him what gear ratio he has in the rear end (2.73's are stock I think) if its something higher than 3.55's then ask him what kind of posi rear end he put in it. (Trak-lok/Traction lok is stock posi rear).

All V8 mustangs come with dual exhaust so take that with a grain of salt.

When he pops the hood to show you the supercharger, take a gander at the headers also, if they aren't smooth/rounded and they have kinks in them, or looks like they've been smashed with a hammer in random places then they're stock headers.

25th anniversary doesn't mean anything, its no different than any other 87-93 Mustang. Think of it like this, if it was a "rare collector's car" then it would be taken care of a whole heck of a lot better than that, garaged etc.

I would definitly try to talk him down past 3200ish.
Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 PM
Deuces

No, it's not from a dealer, it's a private party.

I was going to let my dad take it for a spin if we got that far. Also, we want either my uncle, which is a mechanic, or one of our family friends that's a mechanic to look at it.

The guy that's selling it has only had is for a year or so. He tells me he bought it from a friend of his, and now wants to sell it so he and his wife can redo a bathroom.

Quick Reply: Looking at a '90 GT..