5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What do you think? (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 03:38 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What do you think? (PICS)

Looks good... but I wouldn't have put those gauges in there, as they're all in the dash already, so it defeats the purpose. If it were me, I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge (not electric) to get a true reading, fuel pressure, and trans temp. Then on the A pillar 2 air/fuel gauges, to monitor what's goin on on both sides of my engine. But that's just me :\ As voltage doesn't matter and water temp... stock gauges usually are fairly accurate
Old 10-15-2006, 03:45 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

Looks good... but I wouldn't have put those gauges in there, as they're all in the dash already, so it defeats the purpose. If it were me, I would put a mechanical oil pressure gauge (not electric) to get a true reading, fuel pressure, and trans temp. Then on the A pillar 2 air/fuel gauges, to monitor what's goin on on both sides of my engine. But that's just me :\ As voltage doesn't matter and water temp... stock gauges usually are fairly accurate
Thanks for your perspective, Liquid. I've never heard that stock gauges were accurate though. I've only heard that they were all inaccurate, and that the oil pressure gauge was nothing more than a fancy on/off meter. My temp gauge was not at all accurate--at least as compared to my Autometer gauge. The voltage gauge, however, seems to read exactly like the stock gauge did though. Either way, thanks for the reply.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:50 AM
Liquid_02
4th Gear Member

Yah no problem, just temperature really doesn't matter, you know? As long as your car isn't over-heating drastically, even if the stock gauge is off 10 degrees, you'll be fine. That's my reasoning, I'd just rather be able to monitor other things at the same time, as long as I have an idea of how hot my engine is, I'm happy
Old 10-15-2006, 04:00 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Liquid_02

Yah no problem, just temperature really doesn't matter, you know? As long as your car isn't over-heating drastically, even if the stock gauge is off 10 degrees, you'll be fine. That's my reasoning, I'd just rather be able to monitor other things at the same time, as long as I have an idea of how hot my engine is, I'm happy
Fair enough. I like to know how hot my car runs in different situations...and I like to know when the top end of the motor is hot, as I don't trounce on it until it and the oil are hot. Oil pressure is important, for obvious reasons. Personally, these gauges seem more important to me than fuel pressure or A/F meters? If either of these are off, I'll know because the car won't run right. And as far as trans temp, I figure as long as there's fluid in the tranny, there's not too much I can do about it's temperature. I can respect what you're saying though. I guess it's just a matter of perspective.

To clarify, I got gauges that would monitor the systems most likely to fail and leave me stranded.
Old 10-15-2006, 11:55 AM
mustangfxbdy
3rd Gear Member

i think thats an excellant location for gauges. nothing else goes there.

I was going to install a air/fuel guage, boost guage(when i get a supercharger), and havent decided on the third i just dont want any guage in my car twice..... but i see the reasoning behind the guages you installed
Old 10-15-2006, 12:17 PM
hectanooga
1st Gear Member

Very nice, I am jealous.

...your speedometer only goes up to 85?