5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

track tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
SilverStallion
2nd Gear Member

Default track tomorrow

im going to the track tomorrow for my first time. Ive seen plenty of runs, and was wondering what the burn outs in the water is for. Should i do that with stock tires? or is that for slicks. Any other tips would be appreciated.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:28 PM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: track tomorrow

I would for a better take off. Just don't spin them to long.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:45 PM
Obsol3te
6th Gear Member

NO!!
Do NOT use the waterbox with stock tires.
It's really only for slicks, or maybe drag radials.

Drive around the water box and just drop the clutch to clean off your street tires.
Don't do a burnout with em because that doesnt help, and may hinder performance.

Also, when you get up to the staging lines watch the tree(the light thing) until you light up the first and second lights.

And when it's time to race, leave at the last yellow light for a good reaction time.
Leaving at the green isnt will keep your R/T Nice and high, because you have like 6 feet to travel before you trip the clock to start your time.
or something along those lines.

Have Fun!
Old 07-29-2004, 11:02 PM
Duffs302
2nd Gear Member

Sorry, every time I see a car stage they go through the water.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:29 PM
zennx
1st Gear Member

When you go through the water with street tires the only thing you are doing is tracking water down the track. Some people get mad that way. You might as well spill oil down the track and let someone crash. The reason it is for cars with slicks is because they don't have tread on them. But anyway silverstallion, you want to go around the water puddle as mentioned and clean the tires off a tad. If your looking for the best ET possible (i know this is your first time and all). You can take out the spare tire before going to get rid of some extra weight. You can also get your digital tire pressure gauge ready and lower the pressure in your rear tires to around 25psi (when your at the track, don't do it before you go). When you leave, simply stop at a gas station on your way home to fill them back up to 28-32psi whatever your running in them. I wouldn't use the station's gauge because they are usually inaccurate, you can pick up a nice digital one the reads to the 1/10 for like 12 bucks at sears or something. Sorry I may be going over simple stuff but you I never know what you know. Get some premium gas before you go and if you can make sure you only get about a quarter to a half tank. If you fill it up you will be adding more weight. If your going to be doing a lot of runs, get a half tank and depending on how far the station is away. Maybee even get a bag of ice to cool down your intake inbetween runs. As for the driving, i'll leave that up to you! But most of all, have fun man and don't be worried if you don't get the greatest time. You'll get better!

Ted
Old 07-30-2004, 12:01 AM
bobby
5th Gear Member

ya list to ob, avoid the water as much as possible, mash the gas just enough to clean them off. doing a burnout with street tires wont help anything, and when u get up to thee staging lanes u will be very scared, dont worry about it though! i took my stang to the track for the 1st time the other day and im only 15. its a rush like u wouldnt believe!!!!!
Old 07-30-2004, 02:03 AM
luckythirteen13
6th Gear Member

with stock tires, do not use the water box. its for slicks only.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:18 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Well put Zennx

Rye
Old 07-30-2004, 10:21 AM
92BOOSTED
3rd Gear Member

Dont hammer the pedal when you leave the line as it will only cause you to spin your tires,you dont want that.
Roll into the pedal gracefully and you'll see some better times.
Good luck and have fun.Remember,your racing the clock---not the guy next to you.

Rye
Old 07-30-2004, 01:01 PM
roundman
5th Gear Member

As usual, OB has it wrong about the starting line. Once you have lit both the pre-stage and stage bulbs, you only have about 7 inches or so of rollout of the front tire before you trip the light beam that starts the ET clock. Stage shallow as you can, that is once you light the top bulb, ease forward until the 2nd bulb just barely comes on and then push hard on the brake to stay where you're at. Stare at the bottom yellow bulb and as soon as you see it come on, release the brake and push down on the gas at the same time to get a good reaction time. For your first time at the track, don't worry about cutting great lights, just stage the car pointed straight down the track and concentrate on your driving and shifting and maintaining control of your car. also pay close attention to where the car is in the other lane when you cross the finish line before you turn off the track, you don't want to turn off in front of someone and cause an accident. if you're behind the other lane, slow up and let them turn off first. if you are in front, make sure you know where the other car is before you cut in front of him to get off the track. if you are in doubt or can't see the other car, go to the last turnoff on the track instead of trying to use one of the other ones if they have them. have a good time!

Quick Reply: track tomorrow