5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:41 PM
mpswirl
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: engine instal help needed

is the torque converter bolted to the trans yet? are thr studs through the holes on the flexplate?
Old 10-15-2006, 11:48 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ONLY ONE is bolted down, the stud barely came through, so we had to kinda force the flywheel back 1/8 of an inch to get the one started.

Then when i gave the order to turn the crank, he said , its not moving, ?????????

I can see the studs with a light somewhat, kinda poking out, but not enough to get the nuts started, but all trans to enige mounts bolts line up
Old 10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

you forced the flywheel back? Maybe you bent it or something, It is bolted to the crank and as far as i know shouldnt move back or forth. i always pull the TC forward a little bit, bolt up the TC to the flywheel, bolt up the tranny flush to the motor, and that will push the TC all the way back.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:22 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ill drop the tranny in the morning, it only takes 15 mins, , exhaust, is gone and two bolts holding it to motor, two to the frame mount and starter.

no the flywheel is ok, we should of pulled the converter out a hair insteadill also pull the dizzy and see if anything is hanging

Old 10-16-2006, 01:01 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default RE: engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!

OK GANG HERE IS WHAT I FOUND

the nipple in the converter is not mating up to the hole in the crank , there is somethings in that hole with little bearings???wtf
when i first got this shortblock, I aready had to drill another hole to get my current flywheel to mate to the engine properly(SINCE THE SHORTBLOCK HAD NO FLYWHEEL NO DAMPNER),

im lost here now[:'(]

TAKE A LOOK

[IMG]local://upfiles/23896/83FE33779AE3402FB7CD9FB362D80BD5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23896/774312C6D08F4C438AB4C03CFE039226.jpg[/IMG]
Old 10-16-2006, 01:47 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

It is the throwout bearing. It is used with manual transmissions. Go rent a puller from vato zone, or advance, pull that thing out, and get your tranny bolted up. I had this same problem with one of my trucks i converted from manual to auto. I just bought a puller from advance, pulled teh bearing out(it literally took a minute) and returned the puller for a refund! P.S. it is called a throwout bearing puller.
Old 10-16-2006, 01:56 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

can i do this with the flywheel still attached
Old 10-16-2006, 01:57 PM
Pabradford

The only problem I've ever had bolting up an auto trans to the engine is thinking the converter is seated in the trans, when it's not. Make sure you spin it while pushing in on it. It should be very obvious when it seats. It is really obvious because the trans will not bot squarely to the engine if not done right. You can easily damage your trans or converter if you really force it. Hopefully your's is ok.

You may have another problem though. If you have a bearing in the middle of the back side of your crank, that is for the input shaft on a manual transmission. I don't know if the 302 uses the same or different crank for an auto or manual trans. I'm sure someone who knows will chime in soon. If you need to get the bearing out, just go to autozone and barrow a bearing puller.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Philip
Old 10-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Pabradford

I didn't remove my flywheel to remove and install a new bearing on my manual transmission. The tool slides into the middle of the bearing, preferably with two prongs not three to match the bearing (three can work but is a little tougher). Make sure you have it "very tight" before starting to use the 3 or 5 pound jerk bar to slide it out. It is better to use 6 or 7 moderate pulls that 2 or 3 very strong pulls. Also, unless your are using a very high quality puller, retighten after every pull (only takes a secound and prevents it from slipping out) and it is easier and shouldn't break the tool. They can be difficult, especially if factory original.

Good Luck

PB
Old 10-16-2006, 02:39 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

pilot bearing insert

is it this tool?? pilot bearing insert? u said throwout, which one is he?

Quick Reply: engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!