5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 08:04 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

Default engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!

Guys we are trying to reinstal my new motor and its kicking our az[:'(] . I took the engine out, and left the trans attached and supported on a centerblock.

I am having extreme difficulty attaching the motor to the trans and aligning with the motor mounts?

Whats the best option here?

This is weird. Maybe I need two floor jacks, but I have the engine in the engine bay sitting barely on the motor mount tips
Old 10-14-2006, 08:15 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

Default RE: engine instal help needed

yoru best option is to drop the tranny out, attach it to the engine, then slide it back into the car together
Old 10-14-2006, 09:41 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

you need to angle the engine in some
Old 10-14-2006, 10:22 PM
89gtsleeper
2nd Gear Member

Yeah.. I just did this last week, and it was very painless the way I did it... Had the flywheel, clutch, and tranny alreayd bolted up to the motor (minus the shifter). the long tubes I did not bolt to the motor, but I tie-wrapped them to the K member about where they will be sitting... All I did is chain up the motor to the cherry picker so that the front of the motor lifted a it higher than the tranny, hoisted it up and over the front part of the frame (with the radiator already out of the car for a few extra inches, then dropped it down toward the motor mounts which were already bolted to the K Member. When the transmission started to tuck into the tunnel, I layed under the car and pulled down on the tranny so it wouldn't rub the tunnel (the other person was still pushing everything forward, then lowered the front of the motor into place. Then I pushed the tranny up at the last moment so it would go over the cross member safely. Once I got the motor mounts loosely bolted to the motor, I used a jack under the rearmost part of the tranny to hoist it up, and slipped the trans mouitn into place, loosely bolted it to tranny. Then I went back and torqued down the motor mounts, then the trans mounts, then the headers. Then, I did the twio starer bolts which wasn't too bad either, and finished the wiring today... I'm just about there, and everything was very straightforward in that aspect.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:32 PM
Pabradford

Manual or automatic trans? Is it refussing to bolt up flush? If so it's any easy fix.

PB
Old 10-15-2006, 04:58 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

YES AUTO and she is fighting,not lining up, I dont play fights.

Im gonna have a few beers and dress warm,

2 things I miss !

1. judgement, I didnt really think about keeping them mated *(engine and trans and should of)

2. adjustable engine leveler, not the chain crap, the one where you turn the handle to make the engine perform various rotations and tilts.

However , I called the Master Mechanic at home and his lil son said he was busy, so I told him emergency and needed him, so the lil kid walks in the bedroom with the phone to find the parents screwing in the bed with some of his toys.
Now as fu***** as my month has already gone and being stiffed on ebay for my engine gaskets causing my 3 week delay was not enough, we gojavascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))
javascript:void(AddText('[:@]'))t into an argument over the phone, beacuase I called at the wrong second where he said took him a few hours to get around to. [:'(]

But he told me to loosen the lower trans mount bolts, and take out the driveshaft, that will allow the tranny to move an inch backwards taking my nightmare away, without dropping the trans.

then afterward, take the whole mount off and stick the tranny up the and align everything from ground with floor jack on trans as buddy pulls up on the crank pulley to make the engine tilt down an inch.

Then he told me thanks for making his son become a man, it was about that time anyway, since he found the magazines under his bed and forgot all about it[:'(]

Then he said im getting back to work and hung up the phone, and guys he is a real jackazz at work to begin with and criticizes everyone, becuase hes the 6 figure guy with all the certifications, so i know me and him or gonna be at in Monday during our team's lunch break. But we have been slow, alot of people have no money anymore, so I might call of Monday, I need the rest,.
[:@]
Old 10-15-2006, 08:44 AM
jameswehner

that was funny...let us know how it goes
Old 10-15-2006, 06:13 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

ok we have a new promblem houston.[:'(]

we took the trans down, bolted to the engine and installed both together. when i adjusted my rollers, the engine turned very nice by hand WITHOUT IT being on the trans.

Now we installed the trans and put it back in the car, the dam thing doesnt want to turn over!

I tried a 2 inch steel pipe and breaker bar !!!!!WTF??? all holes align on the converter to flywheel, im stumped.

what do you guys think
Old 10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
92hatchLX
6th Gear Member

Are you sure that you got the converter fully locked onto the input shaft? Did the tranny work before or is it a new one?
Old 10-15-2006, 08:22 PM
aode08
5th Gear Member

the tranny worked fine and spins without being on the engine all studs are there, just cant turn the engine when on the tranny, ???

[IMG]local://upfiles/23896/2B4B89A7C17C4FB3BE2E976C2E3B85CA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23896/F4183052B9B6406EBE71C7D1004DD0FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23896/96B6A1C7D1864A9C89A2055380917558.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: engine instal help needed UPDATED HELP!