5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

C&L intake tubes

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Default RE: C&L intake tubes

ORIGINAL: 5.0stanger

Can I get one that will work with this tube? All I ever see is the ones already in a tube(I am new to the MAF ****)
Kinda confused. What do you mean "work with this tube"? You talking about the sample tube or the inlet tube? You can buy a complete kit from C&L that comes with the inlet elbow and the MAF with whatever sampling tube you request. I run a ProM 75mm, but they aren't in business anymore.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:57 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

I was meaning the meter that will work with the C&L intake tube....sorry. The other MAF meter I was referring to was like your ProM that has it's own tube that it comes with.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:16 AM
machzilla
1st Gear Member

The first mod I did to my car was a C&L 76 mass air and pipe. Did the pulleys and timing and K&N panel filter at same time.
Since I live in Huntsville and C&L is located 11 miles from me I drove down and talked with the owner/inventor Lee Bender.
He actually installed the kit for me in his parking lot!
I have had no problems with drivability, and the kit and upgrades made the car feel like it picked up about 25hp immediately.
Throttle response was greatly improved.
I have no experience with Pro-M but I hear they work well. You may want to research Anderson Powersports and Granatelli also.
Go for it. It's an easy upgrade and a good way to get familiar with your induction system.
Good luck!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:22 AM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Thanks...lots of help. So go with the meter also huh
Old 10-17-2006, 03:17 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Thanks...lots of help. So go with the meter also huh
Judging from the last couple of posts we need to clarify some terminology.

The MAF meter is an assembly consiting of several parts...

MAF Tube - this is the biggest part of the system. Stock ID is 55mm, sn95 5.0 is 70mm, etc.

MAS (sensor) - this is the 'little black box' that is screwed to the top of the MAF Tube. This is the part that senses the Mass of Air flowing.

C&L adds in another component...

Sample Tube - This is a small diameter (about .500" ID) tube that sits inside the MAF Tube, housing the MAS. Air is forced to flow through the Sample Tube in order to reach the MAS.

Now that we are all on the same page....

A C&L MAF meter is not sold with a MAS. You will install your stock MAS on the C&L MAF assy.

If you buy ANY other aftermarket MAF assy, it will come with a recalibrated MAS.

This is because the C&L meters recalibrate for injector size by modifying the diameter of the sample tube. Sample tubes come in a variety of sizes, for a variety of applications.

Obviously, when you buy an aftermarket MAF it is crucial to match the MAF to the injector size.

IF YOU PLAN ON RUNNING THE STOCK 19LB INJECTORS....
There is the option of using the 70mm MAF from a 94-95 v6 or v8 Mustang/Cobra.
This MAF has output voltages that are similar enough to the stock Fox/A9* values that it will work quite well.
You will need to change the adapter plug on your harness, but these can be found in a j/y or adapter kits can be found on the internet. Also, you will need to modify the inlet of the MAF Tube to accept your slip fit stock inlet tubing. The 94-95 Mustang had a bolt on tube vs the slip fit of the fox.

I hope that cleared things up a little.
sometimes I feel like I muddy up the water with too many details. [&:]

jason
Old 10-17-2006, 01:17 PM
5.0stanger
6th Gear Member

Finally...a good answer(not that the others didn't help). Now I know what is going on...thank you.

With the 94/95 maf (those the only years I can use?) I will just have to get a different plug? and do some modifing...I think I can handle that. Thanks again
Old 10-17-2006, 05:49 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

Finally...a good answer(not that the others didn't help). Now I know what is going on...thank you.

With the 94/95 maf (those the only years I can use?) I will just have to get a different plug? and do some modifing...I think I can handle that. Thanks again
Yes, it MUST be a 94-95 Mustang/cobra.

If I remember I will post the MAS number that should be on there when I get home from work.

I don't have any info here.

pm me if I don't post it, because I forgot or couldn't find the thread.

Good Luck
jason
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

I HATE the C&L meter, it toally screwed up my idle, the idle swings between 500 -1500 before settling down around 800 after like 10 -20 seconds but when I have to stop fast the car just die's and it makes my car look like a POS!! I'm going to try the new PMAS meter, anyone want to buy a C&L??? LOL
Old 10-18-2006, 04:25 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Just curious, anyone else have a similar problem with the C&L metter as I described above?? It's a 76MM unit I believe with the 24# flow tube (blue one I believe).
When I first got it way back when, they sent me the wrong flow tube (yellow one if I remember right) and the idle was REALLY all over the place, but then they sent me the correct one but the idle still sucks and the stalling when I stop fast really aggravates me!! I know some of you will try and say its the TPS or the IAC, but all are set right and working properly.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:27 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

I dont think I have ever heard of people having problems with C&L before....

Quick Reply: C&L intake tubes