MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Decreasing fuel richness? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/193555-decreasing-fuel-richness.html)

oldstinky 10-16-2006 04:36 PM

Decreasing fuel richness?

How would a person decrease the fuel/air mixture on a 5.0. Mine has got to be too rich. I have no cats on my new used car. Do I start at trying to find a "chip" somewhere? Where is the chip? Would timing be off? Would O2 sensors be bad? IAC? I don't know where to start?
ANYONE with tips?
Thanks.

88BlueGT 10-16-2006 04:42 PM

RE: Decreasing fuel richness?

Are you sure its not just the fumes from the exhaust? I have stock mid pipe, headers with slp lmI's with resonators and I can smell the fumes alot just with that... an o/r mid pipe would really make it stink

oldstinky 10-16-2006 04:49 PM

I recently had the post yesterday about bad fumes. My problem is that a person can't ride in the car with the windows down without breathing a lot of fumes and your clothes smelling bad after 10 miles. Does ok with windows up. Bad at stoplight with the windows up or down. I just hope it is correctable.

88 rubber eater 10-16-2006 04:54 PM

Mine smells bad at a stoplight with the windows down, but I have full stock exhaust except the mufflers are dumps. When I'm drving generally I don't smell a thing, but as soon as I let my right foot play around it gets worse. Normally starting at 2500 rpms I start smelling the exhaust too, and it smells like its burning rich. I haven't been able to determine whether this is just normal b/c it is a 302 V-8 or whether something else is wrong. Hopefully we can both set the record straight here.

-Matt

88BlueGT 10-16-2006 04:55 PM

It might just be your exhaust. I had MAC LT's, MAC Pro-Chamber and flows on my 88 and it was pretty bad when just idling. What catback do you have?

93must 10-16-2006 05:25 PM

Its probably because your dumps come out under neath the car instead of out the back! Wouldnt that make sense? At a stop the fumes just come up through the car! Obviosly when your moving it cant!

88BlueGT 10-16-2006 05:26 PM

How do you know its dumped?

93must 10-16-2006 05:44 PM

Sorry should have clerified. I was talking to 88 rubber eater. He says so

ORIGINAL: 88 rubber eater

Mine smells bad at a stoplight with the windows down, but I have full stock exhaust except the mufflers are dumps. When I'm drving generally I don't smell a thing, but as soon as I let my right foot play around it gets worse. Normally starting at 2500 rpms I start smelling the exhaust too, and it smells like its burning rich. I haven't been able to determine whether this is just normal b/c it is a 302 V-8 or whether something else is wrong. Hopefully we can both set the record straight here.

-Matt

88 rubber eater 10-16-2006 05:55 PM

ORIGINAL: 93must

Its probably because your dumps come out under neath the car instead of out the back! Wouldnt that make sense? At a stop the fumes just come up through the car! Obviosly when your moving it cant!
But when I'm moving it does! LOL I fully understand it doing it at a stop, that makes perfect sense. But when I'm driving down the road and I'm winding up the gears you can really smell it with the windows down, sometimes its downright overpowering. But with the windows up and me flooring it going down the road I don't really smell it most of the time. Is the flow of air so weird under fox bodies that the air swings the exhaust around the side and in my damn window?!?!?!? MUST BE lol. (p.s. that was a dumb joke, but seriously [sm=chairshot.gif])

-Matt

93must 10-16-2006 06:15 PM

Im not a windologist but I would think it is absolutly possible. Especially when your windows are down they creat a low pressure point in the car so it will pull any smells in!

Im not really sure what a windologist is either![sm=smiley29.gif]