5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Noob Lurker Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:07 PM
jebarr

Default Noob Lurker Questions

Hello guys. I recently purchased a '94 GT vert, and joined the forum shortly thereafter. I have pretty much lurked, as I don't have much advice to offer, but now I need to clear a few questions up.

1. This car is an automatic. Is it an AOD, or an AODE? What is the difference, & why do I care?

2. The transmission seems to jump between gears, back & forth. It doesn't slip, it just seems that it can't decide which gear it wants to be in. Where do you suggest I look first?

3. My fuel tank leaked at the filler neck, so this weekend I replaced the grommet per 86 5.0's suggestion. I had originally ordered a new tank, not knowing the grommet often goes bad, so thank you for the useful & money-saving tip.

4. My first mod will be gears. It is not a daily driver, but may see highway miles off & on, so I'm leaning towards 3.90's. Do any of you agree. (I know it's been asked a million times, I have read all the stickies & hundreds of old posts). What exactly do I need to order, ie gears, pinion?, speedometer gear?. Any other parts/pieces?

I have learned a tremendous amount over the past month just reading through this forum, & I would like to thank you in advance for all your help.

I also forgot.....is this MAF or speed density? What is the difference, & which is preferable?
Old 10-16-2006, 02:23 PM
Archion
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Noob Lurker Questions

ORIGINAL: jebarr

Hello guys. I recently purchased a '94 GT vert, and joined the forum shortly thereafter. I have pretty much lurked, as I don't have much advice to offer, but now I need to clear a few questions up.

1. This car is an automatic. Is it an AOD, or an AODE? What is the difference, & why do I care?

I can't remember, but if you have a switch for o/d then it is an AODE

2. The transmission seems to jump between gears, back & forth. It doesn't slip, it just seems that it can't decide which gear it wants to be in. Where do you suggest I look first?

This leads me to belive it is an AOD, especially if this happeens around 40 mph or so give or take a few. They are notorious for hunting in and out of o/d due to the design, using a throttle valve to control shift points and pressures.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:26 PM
jebarr

There is a switch for OD..... hope that helps.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:38 PM
fordguy17
4th Gear Member

should be aode. if i'm not mistaken e stands for electric. i believe the are controlled by the computer while aod's (93 down are all mechanical.

3. My fuel tank leaked at the filler neck, so this weekend I replaced the grommet per 86 5.0's suggestion. I had originally ordered a new tank, not knowing the grommet often goes bad, so thank you for the useful & money-saving tip.

4. My first mod will be gears. It is not a daily driver, but may see highway miles off & on, so I'm leaning towards 3.90's. Do any of you agree. (I know it's been asked a million times, I have read all the stickies & hundreds of old posts). What exactly do I need to order, ie gears, pinion?, speedometer gear?. Any other parts/pieces?

if its not a daily driver and it won't see that many highway miles why does it matter what kind of gas mileage it gets? go 4.10's. you have a heavy car, and the steeper gear will help. you need the gears (ring and pinion come in a set), and an install kit. i'm not sure whether or not you have an electric speedo. look on summitracing.com for all the parts you need.I have learned a tremendous amount over the past month just reading through this forum, & I would like to thank you in advance for all your help.

I also forgot.....is this MAF or speed density? What is the difference, & which is preferable?

you have MAF. maf measure the actaul amount of air coming into the motor, via a maf meter. it is the silver round piece in your intake tract after the air filter. inside is a small piece of wire that is heated (and cooled by incoming air). that sensor (among others) tell the ecu how much o2 is coming in and adjusts fuel accordingly.

speed density has a bunch of preset parameters that tell the ecu how much air "should" be coming in.

MAF is prefered.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 PM
jebarr

Any ideas on the tranny problems?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:30 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

Tried changing the fluid?

Any ideas on the tranny problems?
Old 10-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

Hello I would go with the 3.73 best gear for the road /strip the 3.90s are more $pricey ... You only need ring and pinion gear because you have the 8.8 rear . I'm not sure what speedo gear you need for an automatic.... "Good luck with your new wheels and what you decide on to do"