MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   Distributor problem (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/193593-distributor-problem.html)

302RideOrDie 10-16-2006 06:17 PM

Distributor problem

My distributor recently went out in my car :(. So I ordered a new distributor (wish it was msd) But anyway 1 bolt and then pry right? No, it won't slide out it goes up maybe a half an inch and then hit's a dead stop on something. I can't figure it out. My model isn't supposed to have any other safety latches or bolts so what else could be the problem?

Any help A.S.A.P would be great :)

Thanks

Derf00 10-16-2006 06:19 PM

RE: Distributor problem

Mebe the gear slipped on your stock unit and now it's jammed in there!? How do you knox the dizzy went out? Can you take the cap off and spin it by hand? If you can, there's your prob, you shouldn't; be able to spin it by hand.

302RideOrDie 10-16-2006 06:20 PM

I can spin it maybe once around. It swivles upward when you do and then it stops. I'm pretty sure it's the dizzy because I had my rotor replaced twice in one day, it kept snapping. and now It won't stay running even tho the rotor is still in place.

93must 10-16-2006 06:24 PM

Not really sure what it could hang up on? If the rotor spins as you pull it up it should come out!
Check around the dizzy to make sure its not catching on something around it! Give it a couple of good wiggles when you pull it up to see if it comes loose.

302RideOrDie 10-16-2006 06:27 PM

Yeah, my dad even helped me try to get it out, the distributor is completely free of any other objects holding down on it. It goes up a little spinning and then dead stop wiggling and jerking do absolutely nothing :(

93must 10-16-2006 06:37 PM

Dont know what to tell you it should come out! there is nothing to hold it in. Unless your not pulling streight up on it and its getting caught on the shoulder of the shaft or something?

Derf00 10-16-2006 06:42 PM

Looks like there's an O-ring on there. If that is swollen it could be a real bitch to get out. Get a long pry bar and leverage the distributor and pry it out. Since you're replacing it, it shouldn't matter if you damage the old dizzy.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13248/45F0D4B0FEE5414B8942FCA81A45682C.jpg[/IMG]

medhead 10-16-2006 07:36 PM

I replaced the distributor last wednesday in my 1995 GT. It slid out no problem. Make sure you disconnect the wiring harness before pulling it out. when I pulled mine out pulled it straight up a shook a little side to side and twisted it. another tip on replacing the dist is to leave the bottom half of the rotor cap on and put your button on it and mark where it is on the thing that holds the cap on. then when you put your new dist in put the botton on to help you get the timing as close as possible. just a couple of tips since just replaced one.

Liquid_02 10-16-2006 07:41 PM

Yah, pry it out. Just make sure you don't drop the shaft... did that to mine then I heard the awesome sound of the "thud" on the bottom of the oil pan :\ Thankfully, my engine was on a stand at the time :) Would have been right pissed if it was in the car and that happened [:@]