5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Licience plate!?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 03:32 AM
ILUVMYSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Default Licience plate!?

Is it legal to take the front licience plate off the car (In California)? b/c i see alot of new cars that dont come with them.

And if it is, how the heck do u take it off, including the plastic backin to it... i tried to get the plastic part off and its damn near impossible.
Old 10-17-2006, 03:33 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Licience plate!?

plastic part? I didnt know license plates came with plastic?[&:] and its legal to not have your license plate on the front of the car, it just has to be on the drivers side dashboard, around the vin

I would get pull over alot because of that, I even memorized the vehicle code and would shove it in the cops face then they would get **** and tell me they would tow the car, but were gonna give me a break, yeah, whatever, try it as$hole
Old 10-17-2006, 03:39 AM
65mojoe
4th Gear Member

It is illegal to not have a front License plate in CA, however how strictly that is enforced depends on where you're at. In SF, I got pulled over in a heartbeat and the reasoning from the cop was that front license plates are usually what are captured by the red light cameras, so thats why they are a neccessity. Around home where I live in Tracy, I havent had my front plate on my fox for about 3 years now and no problems...its all about where you live.

My brother just recently bought a new car from a dealership and they made him sign a waiver to not have a front license plate installed (not sure if ALL dealerships are doing this, but it may be why some new cars dont come with front plates).

EDIT: ^^ Front plate frames that is....
Old 10-17-2006, 03:45 AM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

im in MD, i legally should have a front tag on mine but have decided not to. in my last car i got ticketed for it once, but was pulled over for speeding... cop was a dick, gave me both tickets, and the speeding is for more than i was doing too. but idk, im not gonna put one on the stang.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:39 AM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 65mojoe

It is illegal to not have a front License plate in CA, however how strictly that is enforced depends on where you're at. In SF, I got pulled over in a heartbeat and the reasoning from the cop was that front license plates are usually what are captured by the red light cameras, so thats why they are a neccessity. Around home where I live in Tracy, I havent had my front plate on my fox for about 3 years now and no problems...its all about where you live.

My brother just recently bought a new car from a dealership and they made him sign a waiver to not have a front license plate installed (not sure if ALL dealerships are doing this, but it may be why some new cars dont come with front plates).

EDIT: ^^ Front plate frames that is....
but this is for new vehicles though....

Front License Plate Bracket

11713.17. (a) Following the retail sale or lease of a motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, a dealer may not deliver the motor vehicle unless either of the following occurs:

(1) The motor vehicle is equipped with a bracket or other means of securing a front license plate.

(2) The dealer obtains a signed written acknowledgment from the person taking delivery of the motor vehicle acknowledging both of the following:

(A) The person expressly refused installation of a bracket or other means of securing the front license plate.

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

(b) A manufacturer or distributor may not sell or distribute in this state a new motor vehicle for which the department issues two license plates, unless that motor vehicle is equipped or provided with a bracket or other means of securing the license plates.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:05 AM
ILUVMYSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Thank you all =)
Old 10-17-2006, 09:24 AM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Leave it off, just dont drive like an ***... most cops wont break your chops if they realize your a auto nut and understand you dont want to deface your ride!
Old 10-17-2006, 02:40 PM
86 5.0L
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 7upedition

Leave it off, just dont drive like an ***... most cops wont break your chops if they realize your a auto nut and understand you dont want to deface your ride!
+1
Old 10-17-2006, 02:44 PM
4fit?
4th Gear Member

Or move to North Carolina where there is no crazy law like that! [&:]
Old 10-17-2006, 04:19 PM
dimebag
6th Gear Member

^or delaware.

Quick Reply: Licience plate!?