5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Help my 5.0l...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:59 PM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Default Help my 5.0l...

Ok, so my car pours out black smoke, and I'm not sure why. It also burns gas pretty good.

It's got a decent mod list, but needs TLC.

Here's what I've got...

edelbrock performer heads
E-303 cam
new lifters and pushrods
gt-40 explorer intake manifold
true double roller timing chain
underdrive pulleys
73mm mass air and 24# inj.
headers, o/r h pipe and flowmasters
qa1 12 way adjustable rear shocks
kyb quad shocks
racecraft springs
tubular upper and box lower control arms
3.73 with rebuilt limited slip
all 5 lug conversion with rear disc brakes
world class t-5 with pro 5.0 shifter
spec stage 3 clutch and adjustable quadrant assb
a/c delete, no smog or egr stuff.
caster camber plates

And here's what I'm planning on doing...

adjustable FPR, but my haynes says stock should be 30psi, whereas Jegs only has ones adjustable from 35-65psi, what to do? I'm also replacing the PCV, 02 sensors, and the IACV. I pull a plug or two everytime I drive it and they are BLACK, but since I pulled my SCT chip it should be running stock fuel map, etc, so what's going on?

The car runs good, just gets ****ty gas mileage, smokes black smoke and I want to get it running good before I slap a blower/nitrous on it later this winter/next spring.

Be aware, this is my first v8, and I'm not familar with them whatsoever, also, I bought it off a guy that didn't know jack ****, and jerry rigged the **** out of the car, I bought it not running because he ****ed it up, so at least I got it running, tore out a helluva lot of ****, and just want to make it perfect.

thanks for any and all help
Old 10-17-2006, 09:16 PM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

Default RE: Help my 5.0l...

The car is running too rich, hence the black smoke and poor gas milage.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:14 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

+1 lean it out
Old 10-18-2006, 12:19 AM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

I fully understand that, what's the best way to do that? I'm confused on this whole adjustable FPR, the only ones I can find offer adjustments from 35-65, whereas the stock fuel pressure is 30psi! What the ****?! How am I supposed to get it down that low if I can't find one that will let me adjust it that low.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:24 AM
PRO50SC
The Rogue Mod

What year is the car, stock is 39psi
Old 10-18-2006, 12:42 AM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

The car is a 90, w/ a 95 bottom end. I have a haynes manual and it says stock is 30psi, guess that book is ****ing worthless. Thanks for the tip man! Exactly why I joined a mustang board. Now if I post up a picture of a hose that goes from somewhere under the upper manifold down into a hole in the back on the block, will you guys be able to help me diagnose what it is? I found the hose just flopping around, it says Fuel line or something to that nature on it and was wet/smelled like gas, so yeah, not sure what it is.

Also, what kind of power does the procharger give and what other mods do you have? When the car was running good, it put down 278whp/312wtq, but I'm shooting for 500whp, thinking abuot a blower or maybe just nitrous, whaddya say?
Old 10-18-2006, 12:45 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

Are you sure its goin to the block ? It sounds alot like the PCV valve to me.

Also,if your on a stock block, i wouldnt dare try to get to 500 HP, i'd say 450 tops, but tahst still kindof pushin it. Your gonna crack that block if you go too high.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 AM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

I'm not sure where the hose goes, because it wasn't hooked up to anything, but there's a hole on the back side of the block and this hose fits down in it perfectly and there is like a ring that it sits on when I push it in, but it's not secure. I couldn't find the PCV valve today, but then again I wasn't sure where it was, now I think I've read its right behind the upper manifold?

Also, what's the easiest way to change the FPR? Do I have to pull the upper intake and fuel rail to do it? Anyone know what size allen screws they are?
Old 10-18-2006, 01:05 AM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BAM614

I'm not sure where the hose goes, because it wasn't hooked up to anything, but there's a hole on the back side of the block and this hose fits down in it perfectly and there is like a ring that it sits on when I push it in, but it's not secure. I couldn't find the PCV valve today, but then again I wasn't sure where it was, now I think I've read its right behind the upper manifold?

Also, what's the easiest way to change the FPR? Do I have to pull the upper intake and fuel rail to do it? Anyone know what size allen screws they are?
The line you're messing w/ sounds like the PCV valve....it goes into the lower intake at the back of the motor.

As for your fuel pressure...while your car is idling, remove the vacuum hose on the FPR and adjust it until it gets to ~39ish. When you hook the vacuum line back up, it should be @ ~32 or so.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 AM
BAM614
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I replaced teh PCV, that was the PCV hose btw, thanks guys.

How do I replace teh FPR? Do I seriously have to take the upper manifold/fuel rail off? It looks hard as **** to get to, with the allen screws upside down adn everything.

Quick Reply: Help my 5.0l...