5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 12:39 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: What would you do?

Well, I guess I'm up in the air because a guy at work with a stock 02 Cavalier has been trying to tell me he runs circles around stangs and camaros all day long. I've been trying to get him to come out and run my 204,00o miles stang and he wont.

I can say I have outran a couple of camaros and Stangs in this before:

But have also had my *** handed to me on quite a few occasions....

BTW sorry to crap the thread man. In the end Stanger is right and it is YOUR decision as to what you do. I'm just partial to Mustangs and have been since the age of 4.
Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 AM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lookin4astang

Well, I guess I'm up in the air because a guy at work with a stock 02 Cavalier has been trying to tell me he runs circles around stangs and camaros all day long. I've been trying to get him to come out and run my 204,00o miles stang and he wont.

But have also had my *** handed to me on quite a few occasions....

BTW sorry to crap the thread man. In the end Stanger is right and it is YOUR decision as to what you do. I'm just partial to Mustangs and have been since the age of 4.

Nice truck, my friend's S10 (previous best of 13.6@100.7) is getting AFR's put on the 355 this week, well, already on, just not new exhaust yet.

Yep, its his money, I am just trying to throw EVERYTHING out there because I wish someone had done that for me. I like LS1 F-bods and am telling him why I do. You like mustangs and it would be great if you told him why you do. His money, but at least give the guy some info to mull over. I bet we are gonna get the "im broke right now" response judging by the dilema he posted about. If so, buy a cheaper LT1 in good shape, the one I just posted a pic of in my other thread in this forum was a 95, 149K miles, A4, ran awesome till the day I sold it at 170K miles, never smoked or used oil, had black leather interior and was pretty dang nice. (I was picky when I picked it out though).
Old 10-19-2006, 12:46 AM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

^payed $4500+TTL
Old 10-19-2006, 12:49 AM
lookin4astang
3rd Gear Member

Got one even better than that for him. My cousin just called me. He is ready to part with his 98 GT. This thing is loaded to the hilt. Full Saleen bodykit with Saleen rims and brakes. Built motor. Dunno all the details. AOD tranny with shift kit, new rearend, etc,etc,etc. 70,000 miles and in mint condition.

$5,000 or he wants to trade for something better on gas. He has four or five of these and is only 22, so he is doing good. There ya go man. Problem solved. I wish I could get it and he wants to trade me my 98 Accord even for it, but I am trading it Saturday on a 94 Lightning (if the guy still has it) so I cant do it.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:06 AM
ballstix
1st Gear Member

If you are really on a budget open it up check the tolerences in the cylinders, if they are within factory spec hone it out and put new rings on.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:38 AM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: ballstix

If you are really on a budget open it up check the tolerences in the cylinders, if they are within factory spec hone it out and put new rings on.
I would say buy an auto-zone motor, its built just as well and its like $1300 for a 302. Re-man. Stock specs pretty much, they also have a pretty good warrenty on them. If you are going back stock, just do that imho.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:46 AM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

Okay, you MIGHT! get away with calling the SRT8 a muscle car, maybe even the Magnum SRT8, but the mustang is NOT a muscle car. Just becuase the world around something is watered down does not suddenly make that something better. If your car runs 11's in the 60's you were HOT!!! if it runs 11s now days its not nearly as impressive when Cam-only LS1's are doing it. But you know what? Its STILL AN 11 SECOND CAR. If it wasn't a muscle car back in the day...guess what. ITS NOT ONE NOW. It may be "closer to a muscle car than XXX car" or "more muscular" but it is NOT a muscle car. Much like someone who weighs 350# instead of 450# is not thin by any means, just LESS HEAVY. You should not judge ANYTHING on its surroundings but on its own merit.
I'm not trying to argue with you Stanger...I just want to have a dialogue on something. To my knowledge, most musclecars in the 60s were generally running anything from 14s to 16s, and were considered fast. The most desireable musclecars ran 12s and 13s. Obviously a few ran faster than that. Now given, these high times were due more to sh*tty tires than a lack of hp. I just remember finding that interesting when researching various musclecars, and when seeing various tv shows on the subject. I don't know how accurate this list is, but here is a list of 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for a lot of cars. It only list a few true musclecars, but tell me what you think of it in terms of accuracy. The second list is better for musclecar times.

http://www.albeedigital.com/supercou...0-60times.html
http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclec...s-50fast.shtml

While we're at it, everyone, what's your take on folks who talk about mostly stock 5.0s running in the 13s? I've even heard some cats on this site say that. What do you think of the timeslips on this website?

http://www.dragtimes.com/Ford--Musta...?resultpage=22

Are they trustworthy?

In fact, I think I may start a new thread on the subject.