5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

GT-40 SVO Crate Motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:16 PM
stanger88
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: GT-40 SVO Crate Motor

ORIGINAL: Dropdagloves20

Hey guys, I appreciate everyones ideas. Anyway, I am a 20 year old college student living on my own so money is a factor, but I'm putting everything I can into this car. Honestly, I'm not sure completely suspensionwise what has been done to it, the guy I bought it from was an idiot and didn't know **** about cars, and he just bought it. I figured I was gonna do a engine swap anyway, and for 1500 dollars it handled and drove pretty well. All he knew about suspensionwise was that it has 3.55's and a 8.8 rearend, with a t5 Tranny. Everything I listed is all I could find on the car from my own inspection and what I have done to it myself or paperwork. I'm gonna take it to a shop to get it checked out by a fine tooth comb cause I haven't recently had the time or tools to lift it up and check everything. Basically, I don't have the money to buy a 6000 dollar engine, but I do have enough to build this car slowly into a beast. I don't want to do it overnight, I just wanted your suggestions on what I could add onto or upgrade with what I got, so I can plan financially. All good suggestions, I'm just not really familiar with the GT-40 Crate Motor all that well, all I know is it's rated at 345 flywheel horses, and when my buddy(who I knew took care of it) offered it to me for incredibly cheap with only 27000 miles on it, I figured it would be much better base to build on than a 160,000 5.0 HO motor. I just kinda want your imput on what I can do to it for rwhp gains, that it can handle. My ultimate goal is to upgrade to a better motor, but right now, I kinda just have to piece together what I can. Anymore info would be helpful, and all you guys have told me is awesome. From what you guys have given me, tell me if this sounds good. Upgrade to 3.73 gears, Throw a new Tremec T5 on, Upgrade to top of the line heads/cam/and intake, and throw on a Twin Turbo kit. Anything else, or any brands or models that would be better for this motor and what it can handle would be appreciated as well. You guys are awesome, keep it coming.
3.55 to 3.73 is a waste of money. On an FI (turbo/N20/SC) car, 3.55's are better anyways. Why a new T5? Is this one broke? Go with a Holley systemax or Trickflow top-end. Either one will set you back 2-2500 plus installation. They both perform about the same and will get you about as far as you can go NA with a 302 displacement before REALLY spending some money. After that, get a vortec and call it good. The only problem is by then you will have spend $6500... I say save up. If this is your first performance car, learn how to handle 270whp in a rwd light as hell, finicky car with gears before building a monster and you will live longer. Just enjoy what you have, its PLENTY is this is your first sports car. In a year or two, put some $$$ into it.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:30 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

Yeah bro, I appreciate your critique, it's just it is a tribute car so I wanna make it the best it can be with my budget. I'll be happy if it runs 11's for now, that's my goal. I'm just not real sure what I can do to this motor and where to go from where it is right now. I've worked on nothing more than 5.7 LS1's before and I know it's the same concept, but honestly I don't know what this motor can handle or what it can't, I'm not really up to date on what the best parts are for it, cause I've kinda pieced on from other friends cars before, not gone out and look to buy the best part. I'm just in need of some help, and you guys have helped me out more than you know.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:39 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

here's what i'd do ...you already have a good intake, and you probably have an E cam or B cam, they're not the best cams but it'll do for now... just get some better heads, AFR 165 or edlebrock RPM, or trick flow. then when some more money is available, slap on a girdle and a vortech and get a custom grind cam... you'd be right at 400rwhp. in my experience the first thing to go will be the T-5, unless it's in really great shape and you don't abuse it... then you can get a TKO or g-force as a replacement. a twin turbo set-up is EXPENSIVE, and you will need a whole new short block if you decide to do it, wich can also get very expensive.

great thing you're doing for your friend[sm=smiley20.gif]
Old 10-19-2006, 11:10 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man, I'm looking at new heads, so which of the 3 you listed are the best going on power and overall bang for your buck. And this may sound stupid, but what do you mean by a girdle????? and Vortech Supercharger???? I know a lot about cars, but only specific things my dad or friends or whatever has taught me, so sorry if I sould dumb sometimes. Anyway, anymore ideas would help, thanks guys.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 PM
tims 88 4
4th Gear Member

very nice car man he did a very good job but im really sorry to hear about your friend
Old 10-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

Thanks man, that's why this car means so much to me. My goal is to make it the baddest fox in New Mexico, but everything I've done to it, which is mainly just the engine swap and the bolt on stuff and some others that I listed are just the tip of the iceberg hopefully. My goal is to run 11's on this Crate Motor I have, just gotta figure out what else to do to it to get it there.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:35 PM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

a girdle is a main cap brace to reinforce the block, it's for precautionnary measures.

out of the 3 heads listed my choice would be the AFRs but you can't go wrong with either of them, especially if you can find a good deal.

the vortech is a centrifugal style supercharger... here's their website if you want to read up on them. http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com
Old 10-19-2006, 11:41 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

What model should I stick with since I have the crate motor and I pulled out the old 5.0 HO engine. Should I just stay with the Supercharger model made for the factory HO engine. Also, what stage of model do you think it can handle?
Old 10-20-2006, 12:20 AM
HC_CrAzYHoRsE
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Dropdagloves20

What model should I stick with since I have the crate motor and I pulled out the old 5.0 HO engine. Should I just stay with the Supercharger model made for the factory HO engine?
should be the same

Also, what stage of model do you think it can handle?
that all depends and i can't really answer that, i've seen stock blocks give in at 300rwhp and some that are still holding strong over 500rwhp after years of abuse... you never know. i'd start with an 8psi kit and go from there, just make sure you get one that is upgradable in case you want to up the boost.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:14 PM
Dropdagloves20
2nd Gear Member

One more thing I wanted to ask you guys, when buying parts for the GT-40 crate motor, is it pretty close to stock, like if I bought a bolt on like, a supercharger, heads, intake, etc. should I just buy it for a 5.0 HO stock Mustang Motor, or what should I buy it for.