5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Setback city

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:18 PM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Default Setback city

So I'm happily taking parts off my 88 GT in the process of doing
a mass air conversion, and I get hit with two problems:

1. I don't have the electrical connector that screws on the MA meter
or the screws to attach it. I guess when you buy a C&L they assume you
already have one. No big deal, I'll just call the auto parts store, they don't offer
it in their computer database, refer me to the best supplier in town, he doesn't have it
and refers me to Autoway Ford, they only sell the whole thing for 180.00. Do I really have to
buy the whole thing and just keep the 3 dollar connector and pitch the rest or take my
chances with a cruddy junkyard part? This is an item I'd like to buy new.

2. I decided to go ahead with starting basic assembly of the fuel system as it is easy
to put the little MAF plug on later. So it's all going together fine until I put the last fitting on the
new fuel rails, last set of threads is fubar. This is not good as these rails have no makers
mark on them so I don't know where to get a replacement and they are pipe thread on the
large holes so I would need replacements to be the same so I can re-use all the high
dollar connectors I bought. I don't know if other makes have same thread patterns.

3. Not really a problem but I noticed my rails are the same except on rail has a closed end
so I have three holes to work with, as I have not done this before I have to ask, is three
enough? factory set-up I pulled has 2 crossovers and this setup could only have one.
Is this going to work? Anyone know if aluminum billet fuel rails can have the threads cleaned up
or are replacements needed?

I know I said two problems but well, there you have it!

Matt
Old 10-21-2006, 12:25 AM
fourfivefour
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Setback city

You need the mas air meter/sensor. That is what screws to the C&L. It is not an electrical plug it is the actual sensor.
Chase the threads in the fuel rail with the proper NPT tap.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Are they really 180 dollars ?
Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 AM
frdmstng1986GT
5th Gear Member

call a junk yard/salvage yard. you can probably get one for 50-100$
Old 10-21-2006, 12:53 AM
gsxrstang69
3rd Gear Member

go to a u pull it junkyard. ull get one for even cheaper. or you dont even have to pay for it if ur sneaky lol
Old 10-21-2006, 12:54 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: irish1

So I'm happily taking parts off my 88 GT in the process of doing
a mass air conversion, and I get hit with two problems:

1. I don't have the electrical connector that screws on the MA meter
or the screws to attach it. I guess when you buy a C&L they assume you
already have one. No big deal, I'll just call the auto parts store, they don't offer
it in their computer database, refer me to the best supplier in town, he doesn't have it
and refers me to Autoway Ford, they only sell the whole thing for 180.00. Do I really have to
buy the whole thing and just keep the 3 dollar connector and pitch the rest or take my
chances with a cruddy junkyard part? This is an item I'd like to buy new.

2. I decided to go ahead with starting basic assembly of the fuel system as it is easy
to put the little MAF plug on later. So it's all going together fine until I put the last fitting on the
new fuel rails, last set of threads is fubar. This is not good as these rails have no makers
mark on them so I don't know where to get a replacement and they are pipe thread on the
large holes so I would need replacements to be the same so I can re-use all the high
dollar connectors I bought. I don't know if other makes have same thread patterns.

3. Not really a problem but I noticed my rails are the same except on rail has a closed end
so I have three holes to work with, as I have not done this before I have to ask, is three
enough? factory set-up I pulled has 2 crossovers and this setup could only have one.
Is this going to work? Anyone know if aluminum billet fuel rails can have the threads cleaned up
or are replacements needed?

I know I said two problems but well, there you have it!

Matt

for the fuel situation, you can run a line to a regulator, and from the regulator back to the tank, then from the regulator to the fuel rails.

the reason the stock rails have 2 crossover tubes is because of how the regulator is built into the rails, the fuel flows through the rails then to the regulator, which adjusts how much fuel is returned to the tank.

to fix it just get a npt tap of that size and fix the threads, without crossthreading it.

try to find a sensor from a junkyard, I have seen people use the electronics from 5.0 thunderbirds, and lincoln mark VIII, with success.

Old 10-21-2006, 12:58 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

So you would run the feed from the fuel pump to the FPR first?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:08 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

yes.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:15 AM
irish1
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'm looking at it as a rectangle and you have ports on three of the four corners.
I need to have a crossover, that takes two, and I need a feed, that takes one.
Where does the return go? Or should the crossover do double duty and have a
double fitting on it, one cross/one return to fpr?
thanks
Matt
Old 10-21-2006, 01:36 AM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

the return line comes from the regulator, you need something like this.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...tegoryId=10323

the fuel rails are connected together at the rear, and the pass side one connects to the pressure side of the regulator.

Quick Reply: Setback city