5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Fox body/LS1 conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fox body/LS1 conversion..

I edited my last post.

Thank you for clarifying both sides of the arguement.

Remember you said, "fast is fast, no matter how you get there". I am using the Nitrous to "get" there.

Another quesition. How do I change my 4th gear member to.........."The Tool" or to "Internet Tough Guy"? Any help there would be helpfull. Thank you again.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:37 PM
Quik
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SSKiller

ORIGINAL: Quik

That is a SLP SS!!!!!! I am taking about stock LS1.

We both agree....no pissing match.

The fastest I have ever run was a 12.71 with my set up. That was the motor and supporting mods pre-SC. That was with DR's at 2700 feet above sea level. I can take a stock 5.0....with nitrous and out run a stock LS1 Camaro....anyday of the week. Sure it takes me nitrous....but fast is fast no matter how you get there.

I have alot of money in my supporting mods. I don't have the power of an LS1. They are great motors. I like them, just not in ANY Ford. Oh and the Mustang you ran on Pinks was a joke............. My friends Datsun out have killed your 240 powered by an LS1.
oh yea that stang on pinks was a joke...so your datsun can take the 240? would you like to set it up?

SLP SS is still a stock ls1...motor is untouched. only difference is the air lid, and catback but its still a production car and still the same LS1 thats in the z28 or formula

and you need supporting mods...... im saying off showroom floor setups
A 2002 SLP SS is not a stock LS1. The SLP came with the LS6 intake, and a few lucky ones got the Cast 243 LS6 heads, the catback, the whisper lid, and suspension upgrades. Sure you could buy one from the show room, but it is not a stock Z28. My heavily mod Vert can play with your SLP SS. And it is 14 years older.

I am talking a stock 5.0 with Nitrous, against a stock F-body without SLP opitions.
dude i said lets not start a pissing match but you made one. youre somewaht knowing but you dont....in 01-02 ls1 switched to the LS6 intake, they did not have the 243 casting heads. they had 241 heads. the intakes are stock on base Z,formula, TA, Hawks, and SSs. there is no difference in the SS or TA motor as there is in the Z or formula...suspension was optional also. again its heavily modded you car...and i can also name a 02 Z running 13.1 on average on street rubber

but i said lets not make this a pissing match. i know my LSX setups. and i know what a fox can do but again this was talking about putting the LS1 in the fox. not what a fox with a 302 coudl do against a fbody. i beat some LS1s with my Notch and the motor was stock with 154k miles on it but that was all in the launch really. but again your not getting the point

point is the LS1 in the fox isnt a bad idea as some would think. now a SBC in a fox i wouldnt waste my time

now the hoods on the WS6 and SS dont really do much, its when over 80ish they might help out some
you say newer technology...how is it that new? still uses OHV unlike today's fords that are OHC. if you would tear apart a LS1 you would see it has pushrods like your 302, lifters like the 302, single cam like the 302. the biggest difference between a LS1 and GEN I motor is the firing order. so you say newer tech but really there isnt maybe with the computer but then you can still make the LS1 with a carb on it
Old 10-22-2006, 04:10 PM
w8less
6th Gear Member

thanks for the schooling ss cause appearently this guy needs to do a little bit more research and for everyone else i was hoping for 280-300 rwhp with stock heads

ORIGINAL: HotWheels347

allright!!! everybody put down the wrench!!! ...this just in "it is not worth it to mod your 302!!" everybody go out and get yourself an LSX motor!!.... never mind that a 1500$ H/C/I and 2000$ S/C set-up with 1000$ in supporting mods will get you over 500rwhp, that's just weak and too costly.... get a 5k headache LS1 swap instead and put out 300rwhp!!! it's much better!!!

thank you Quik for showing us the way
dude dont even start.. if you can make 500rwhp from a 302!! ill reinburse you if you have all reciepts. the key is it has to be NA and last for atleast 5k in miles.

you do know that around mid 4xx the block likes to spilt dont ya?

you have no idea who your talking to and lets not make this a pissing match...im not really in the mood to school ya tonight
LMAO!! please do "school me" professor... i guess you're not aware that there was an invention called a "girdle" that keeps the block from splitting and many people have seen their 302s last long and strong for years pushing over 500rwhp. but whatever guy, if you're "not in the mood" than thanks for stopping by.
You are ignornant too. Pack your lunch, and get a pencil, I will be your professor.

All a stud girdle does is keep the pieces in a nice neat pile. It does not strengthen the block.

Read about splitting blocks and stud girdles here.........Question 3 to be exact.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/techart...stockblock.php
Old 10-23-2006, 12:48 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

The fastest I have ever run was a 12.71 with my set up. That was the motor and supporting mods pre-SC. That was with DR's at 2700 feet above sea level. I can take a stock 5.0....with nitrous and out run a stock LS1 Camaro....anyday of the week. Sure it takes me nitrous....but fast is fast no matter how you get there.

I have alot of money in my supporting mods. I don't have the power of an LS1. They are great motors. I like them, just not in ANY Ford. Oh and the Mustang you ran on Pinks was a joke............. My friends Datsun out have killed your 240 powered by an LS1.
oh yea that stang on pinks was a joke...so your datsun can take the 240? would you like to set it up?

SLP SS is still a stock ls1...motor is untouched. only difference is the air lid, and catback but its still a production car and still the same LS1 thats in the z28 or formula

A 2002 SLP SS is not a stock LS1. The SLP came with the LS6 intake, and a few lucky ones got the Cast 243 LS6 heads, the catback, the whisper lid, and suspension upgrades. Sure you could buy one from the show room, but it is not a stock Z28. My heavily mod Vert can play with your SLP SS. And it is 14 years older.

I am talking a stock 5.0 with Nitrous, against a stock F-body without SLP opitions.
dude i said lets not start a pissing match but you made one. youre somewaht knowing but you dont....in 01-02 ls1 switched to the LS6 intake, they did not have the 243 casting heads. they had 241 heads. the intakes are stock on base Z,formula, TA, Hawks, and SSs. there is no difference in the SS or TA motor as there is in the Z or formula...suspension was optional also. again its heavily modded you car...and i can also name a 02 Z running 13.1 on average on street rubber

but i said lets not make this a pissing match. i know my LSX setups. and i know what a fox can do but again this was talking about putting the LS1 in the fox. not what a fox with a 302 coudl do against a fbody. i beat some LS1s with my Notch and the motor was stock with 154k miles on it but that was all in the launch really. but again your not getting the point

point is the LS1 in the fox isnt a bad idea as some would think. now a SBC in a fox i wouldnt waste my time

now the hoods on the WS6 and SS dont really do much, its when over 80ish they might help out some
you say newer technology...how is it that new? still uses OHV unlike today's fords that are OHC. if you would tear apart a LS1 you would see it has pushrods like your 302, lifters like the 302, single cam like the 302. the biggest difference between a LS1 and GEN I motor is the firing order. so you say newer tech but really there isnt maybe with the computer but then you can still make the LS1 with a carb on it
No, I thank you for all the info. I learned alot about the enemy. And at least was can agree that an LS1 does not belong in a Fox body. Good talking with you.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:54 AM
SSKiller
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jasperstang308

thanks for the schooling ss cause appearently this guy needs to do a little bit more research and for everyone else i was hoping for 280-300 rwhp with stock heads

allright!!! everybody put down the wrench!!! ...this just in "it is not worth it to mod your 302!!" everybody go out and get yourself an LSX motor!!.... never mind that a 1500$ H/C/I and 2000$ S/C set-up with 1000$ in supporting mods will get you over 500rwhp, that's just weak and too costly.... get a 5k headache LS1 swap instead and put out 300rwhp!!! it's much better!!!

dude dont even start.. if you can make 500rwhp from a 302!! ill reinburse you if you have all reciepts. the key is it has to be NA and last for atleast 5k in miles.

you have no idea who your talking to and lets not make this a pissing match...im not really in the mood to school ya tonight
LMAO!! please do "school me" professor... i guess you're not aware that there was an invention called a "girdle" that keeps the block from splitting and many people have seen their 302s last long and strong for years pushing over 500rwhp. but whatever guy, if you're "not in the mood" than thanks for stopping by.
You are ignornant too. Pack your lunch, and get a pencil, I will be your professor.

All a stud girdle does is keep the pieces in a nice neat pile. It does not strengthen the block.

Read about splitting blocks and stud girdles here.........Question 3 to be exact.

http://www.turbomustangs.com/techart...stockblock.php
Everyone gets schooled sometimes. I just got schooled about the SS's in this very same thread. I have done alot of homework on the abilities of the stock block holding alot of horsepower. One day I hope I have the income to produce a high horsepower motor. The thing that kills stock blocks are HIGH RPM's. If your keep a 550 horsepower motor under 5800 RPM it will last alot longer then a 500 HP motor spinning 6,800 RPM's.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:04 AM
ddhawkfan

thanks everyone for your opinions and comments, i'm not trying to **** anyone off by doing it and its not really for uniqueness (is that a word?) but its a matter of bang for the buck, i work at Horsepower engineering and i mess w/ ls1 stuff all day long and i've been wanting to do a 418 windsor on a turbo set up forever and realizing thats going to cost me a **** ton, so why not go buy a complete turn key set up for like 3500 and be done? i was just wondering like on the fabrication issues, i dont plan on running headers immediately just a nice healthy S cam and suspension and i'll easily be in the deep 11's
Old 10-25-2006, 04:18 AM
ddhawkfan

wow i'm the one on here asking questions and your my friend are an idiot... a girdle is worthless and does nothing for you... why do you think i'm getting the hell away from my 302?? either i'm going windsor or LSX leaning towards LSX, i can get to 42x hp at the tires w/ a cam... through on automatic... i do it every day on LSx cars... now lets do the math... 215 (MAYBE) at the tires w/ my boat anchor... double that... to 400 and still get 25-30 mpg and be VERY drivable w/o a power adder... now throw a 200 shot on it and have like 1500 in bolt ons and be making around 600.... how many 302 guys are making 600??? oh wait... just put a girdle on it, that will hold it...
Old 10-25-2006, 04:24 AM
ddhawkfan

actually... and SS car is nothing more than a z28... look at the RPO codes on the door it will say z28 and SLP thats what sets off a SS... factory SS cars are sent out of the factory to SLP for suspension and the hood, deck and lid... thats why if you notice on a stock SS the paint usually doesn't match the fenders because they are painted at different times. the ls6 intake is on all 01-02 LS1 cars, no difference in the heads now on your z06 cars had ls6 heads... just a little info for ya.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:25 AM
aode08
5th Gear Member

you want to do a 460 swap, or maybe a 351w swap

the ls1 conversion is easy! just take a doghouse from a rear ended LS1 camaro or corvette, and mount it on your 1988
Old 10-26-2006, 10:53 PM
ddhawkfan

i just want to know what it is i need to buy in or make in order for it to fit and work.