5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

new cars rule (emissions q)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 04:39 AM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

Default new cars rule (emissions q)

So yea got my car on sunday. woot for that, but used cars aren't the happiest things to look at or work on. find out my fuse box was held up with a shoe lace. yay for custom mounts! But i went to go get it emissions tested (in AZ) and it passed emissions fine, but got nabbed on the visual inspection when they did the pressure test. Turns out that hose that comes from the charcoal filter to something, was disconnected. And i have no idea where the hell it goes. It has an aftermarket throttle body spacer and a K&N. thinking strongly that that has something to do with it. do i gotta get a new throttle body before i can drive it? or am i missing something? where does this thing connect? im so lost. by the way, its a 90 gt.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:42 AM
goathead75
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new cars rule (emissions q)

Smog pump maybe? When I was looking at Mustangs it was missing from almost every one.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:55 AM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

they actually popped the hood?

i live in MA and they do a bunch of tests but once my car passed emissions he just slapped a sticker on it. its a mustang.. obviously its been modified in some way and if it dosnt pollute they shouldn't care.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:30 PM
FordMustangXBA
4th Gear Member

The most important word in that sentence is "shouldn't," lol...
Old 10-21-2006, 05:06 PM
neutralpinned
1st Gear Member

yea i really didnt think they would look under the hood maybe they only did because the gas tank pressure test failed. anyway it really sucks. from the simplified pictures they gave me, it looks like the hose that goes from the charcoal filter to the carb/intake mani. any other insight on this?

-btw the topic was supposed to be "USED cars rule"
Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

heres what i would do.. take it to a diff shop

if they put a rejection sticker on it.. take it off and just say it never had one when u bought it
Old 10-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

My car had a tube comin from the smog pump that went to nowhere, it was just kindof danglin there. And still i dont know where it went to, but i removed the smog pump, so that eliminated my problem. Somone at ford told me it might be something for california emmisions or something. But i dont have emmisions where i'm from, so i dont have to worry about it.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:18 AM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: neutralpinned

So yea got my car on sunday. woot for that, but used cars aren't the happiest things to look at or work on. find out my fuse box was held up with a shoe lace. yay for custom mounts! But i went to go get it emissions tested (in AZ) and it passed emissions fine, but got nabbed on the visual inspection when they did the pressure test. Turns out that hose that comes from the charcoal filter to something, was disconnected. And i have no idea where the hell it goes. It has an aftermarket throttle body spacer and a K&N. thinking strongly that that has something to do with it. do i gotta get a new throttle body before i can drive it? or am i missing something? where does this thing connect? im so lost. by the way, its a 90 gt.
Don't say 'woot' any more, please.

There should be a hose from the fuel tank to the charcoal can.
Then from the can to the intake manifold. On this line there will be a control valve as well.

IF the hoses aren't routed right, this is a simple fix.
Just by some hose that is the right length/diameter, and your set.

If you failed the fuel tank pressure test...
Was it because of an old fuel cap?

jason