5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Replacing heads...how difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 03:52 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Replacing heads...how difficult?

Okay, I don't mind doing small things by myself, or even the simple bolt-ons like a supercharger, etc. But how difficult is it going to be to install heads myself? It seems like it should be fairly easy, but I'm not sure if I have to pull the engine to do it or if there's an easier way. Keep in mind I have an SN95 5.0 so it's pretty cramped in there. here's what the engine bay looks like right now:

Is there an easy way to do this without having to pull the engine or rip everything apart? or am I better off just going to an engine shop and having them do the work for me? I know it varies from location to location, but how much do you think it would cost to ahve a shop isntall a new set of heads for me?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:53 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Replacing heads...how difficult?

As a side note: I'm asking now cause I most likely have a seeping head gasket or cracked head. So I figured that if I'm going to replace the gasket, I might as well replace both heads while I'm at it.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:07 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

It really depends on your mechanical ability. It's not that bad but you need to pay attention to detail when tearing everything down, label wires, maybe even take more pictures of things so you remember how they go back together. Make sure you have a good torque wrench and clean all gasket surfaces and I bet you'll be fine.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:14 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

It's easy, just need good set of tools and some patience.
make sure you invest in a VERY good torque wrench to re-install heads.
you will also need a second smaller torque wrench for the intake bolts.

Pretty straight forward............

and you're done .......... lol
Old 10-21-2006, 04:16 PM
r.barn
6th Gear Member

E-GADS!!!!! you air intake is right over you driver side header??!?!?!?!?

GOTTA do somthing about that too ..............

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Okay, I don't mind doing small things by myself, or even the simple bolt-ons like a supercharger, etc. But how difficult is it going to be to install heads myself? It seems like it should be fairly easy, but I'm not sure if I have to pull the engine to do it or if there's an easier way. Keep in mind I have an SN95 5.0 so it's pretty cramped in there. here's what the engine bay looks like right now:

Is there an easy way to do this without having to pull the engine or rip everything apart? or am I better off just going to an engine shop and having them do the work for me? I know it varies from location to location, but how much do you think it would cost to ahve a shop isntall a new set of heads for me?
Old 10-21-2006, 04:21 PM
silver91gt
5th Gear Member

AFR recommends not using a torque wrench on the intake bolts, so the holes dont get stripped.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:23 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: r.barn

E-GADS!!!!! you air intake is right over you driver side header??!?!?!?!?

GOTTA do somthing about that too ..............
Iknow. unfortunately, that's how Procharger designed this kit. I need to find some way to relocate it, but I'm not sure if it's going to be possible.

It does seem pretty straight forward. And it looks like I won't even have to remove the S/C to do it. Maybe I should just replace the intake while I'm at it.

BTW, thank you for the photos. That's a HUGE help and actually showed me that it's not gonna be as bad as I thought.

But back to the air intake...any ideas? Maybe procharger makes an extension or something for it.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:39 PM
SteveSkal
2nd Gear Member

Hey R.barn, those AFR's look SWEEEEEET!!!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, his setup does look nice. I also thing I might as well replace the intake as well. Just won't be able to get to the cam because I don't feel like yanking hte entire engine to get to that.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:51 PM
mustang93
2nd Gear Member

you dont have to pull the engine to do a cam. you can put it in while the engine is still in the car.

Quick Reply: Replacing heads...how difficult?