5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

still have a whistle, but now heres a video

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 09:45 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

Default still have a whistle, but now heres a video

maybe this video will help someone help me diagnose where this damn whistle is coming from. Ive tried everything, cleaning the IAC, cleaning the EGR, used carb cleaner on all the vacuum hoses and on the intake manifold egr spacer and throttle body, and yet still nothing. Thanks in advance guys.

Mustang Vid with whistle
Old 10-21-2006, 09:55 PM
Scout2232
4th Gear Member

Default RE: still have a whistle, but now heres a video

I have that same noise... But not nearly as loud. What throttle body do you have? Brand I mean. I have BBK and heard thats a common whistle noise from them.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:59 PM
93 LX FiveO
5th Gear Member

sounds like a vaccum leak

check the vaccum tree under the wiper motor

i almost garauntee you the A/C line is snapped

its very fragile.. even leaning on it or putting something on it (like tools) will snap it
Old 10-21-2006, 10:05 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Damn thats loud, Sounds like a bearing on one of the pulleys.

My BBK wistles but not that bad.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 PM
Twisted
5th Gear Member

This may or may not help you pinpoint where the leak is: Try getting a long length of tube. Put one end in your ear (but not far enough that the sound hurts your ear), and stick the other end into various areas of the intake, engine and vacuum fittings. When the tube passes over the spot that's making the noise, you should be able to hear it. Again, make sure you don't hurt your ears.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:14 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Twisted

This may or may not help you pinpoint where the leak is: Try getting a long length of tube. Put one end in your ear (but not far enough that the sound hurts your ear), and stick the other end into various areas of the intake, engine and vacuum fittings. When the tube passes over the spot that's making the noise, you should be able to hear it. Again, make sure you don't hurt your ears.
i have a stethescope (sp?) the actual sound from the whistle is coming from the center of runners on the right side (facing the car). know what i mean? But i think thats from the direction of the runners. Ok maybe this will help, with a stehescope ( sp? again) if you follow the air from the throttle body (assuming you can see the air flowing through the upper plenum), as soon as it gets to the far right of the intake, just before it starts moving down to the lower intake, thats where the noise is. Make sense??
Old 10-21-2006, 10:15 PM
tuff5liter
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black Snake

Damn thats loud, Sounds like a bearing on one of the pulleys.

My BBK wistles but not that bad.
but its coming from the rear of the motor and its only at idle.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Black Snake
5th Gear Member

Could it be the Smog pump pipe behind the heads?
ddeaton66
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like an alternator bearing to me. Could also be PS or water pump though.

Keep us informed
Twisted
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: tuff5liter

ORIGINAL: Twisted

i have a stethescope (sp?) the actual sound from the whistle is coming from the center of runners on the right side (facing the car). know what i mean? But i think thats from the direction of the runners. Ok maybe this will help, with a stehescope ( sp? again) if you follow the air from the throttle body (assuming you can see the air flowing through the upper plenum), as soon as it gets to the far right of the intake, just before it starts moving down to the lower intake, thats where the noise is. Make sense??
I understand what you are saying, but have no idea what would cause that. Have you tried soaking the seams of your intakes with carb cleaner or something, and seeing if it changes your idle. By the way, how does the car idle? Does the idle ever jump up and down by itself?

Quick Reply: still have a whistle, but now heres a video