MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang-14/)
-   -   supercharged need only reply (https://mustangforums.com/forum/5-0l-1979-1995-mustang/196547-supercharged-need-only-reply.html)

slo5.0 10-23-2006 12:58 PM

supercharged need only reply

i have a bone stock 89 5.0 and thinking about a supercharger. car has 80000 miles. some pros and cons of this type of power application and brand. i do not want to do any other engine mods. thanks

only90s 10-23-2006 01:43 PM

RE: supercharged need only reply

Go with a Vortech system like this:

Supercharging System with V-2 SQ for 1986-1993 5.0 Mustang H.O.

Adds 126 horsepower (SQ)
Adds 110 ft/lbs of torque (SQ)
8-10 PSIG
Includes SQ S-Trim or T-Trim supercharger
Satin (040SQ) or polish (048SQ) finish

Can buy it at Jegs.com for $2,829.99

Depending on how hard you drive it..the motor should handle this for quite a while..then when it is time for a rebuild you can add heads, cam and an intake and get yourself over 400 horse to the wheels..

I8urLS1 10-23-2006 02:28 PM

my best friend has a bone stock 90 notch. rebuilt motor, but no upgrades. he purchased a paxton novi-1000 (smaller version) 9psi max. he has the 6psi pulley on it and the stock T-5 and 3.08 rear. he can't be making much more than 300hp and he runs 12.7's all day in the 1/4. i will stand by that thing until it's discontinued. superchargersonline.com (1700$) best bang for your buck. a 9psi pulley for 250$ and you will have a car you'll never get tired of. hope i could help :D

SSKiller 10-23-2006 02:40 PM

ORIGINAL: slo5.0

i have a bone stock 89 5.0 and thinking about a supercharger. car has 80000 miles. some pros and cons of this type of power application and brand. i do not want to do any other engine mods. thanks
You would be retarded not to upgrade anything. Would you screw Pamela Anderson without protection? Then why would you do that to your motor. I would get a full exhaust and at least a 255lph intank fuel pump. If not your are asking for problems. I also like the Paxton. Stay away from Powerdyne.

samseed101 10-23-2006 02:46 PM

Pros: great power, many kits will include everything you will need to install, will not kill gas mileage at lower RPMS, easy to install, great sound ;), relatively inexpensive

Cons: if the engine is tired could see more issues with blowby and / or blown gaskets and seals, can run too lean if not properly tuned, doesn't play nice with platinum spark plugs, generally don't get the added HP unless over 3k RPM (KB is an exception.), won't get added power unless at WOT.

As others have stated, you can't just bolt it on without making any other changes. You will at LEAST have to add FMU and get a tune. You'd be better off with bigger fuel pump and injectors along with a tune.

MustangMadness7 10-23-2006 03:01 PM

Id go paxton Novi 1000, its a great entry level blower for stock motors. I agree with SS though, you will probly need some minor modifications or your going to have some problems.

FullAuto 10-23-2006 03:29 PM

I'd run a Novi 1000 with an 8" crank pulley. And if you're too cheap to buy larger fuel injectors, MAF and fuel pump, don't waste your money on the blower.

slo5.0 10-23-2006 03:57 PM

so there are some basic mods, but if i order it for my application(stock motor, stock exhaust)then the company will suggest what to buy.

7upedition 10-23-2006 04:36 PM

ORIGINAL: FullAuto
I'd run a Novi 1000 with an 8" crank pulley. And if you're too cheap to buy larger fuel injectors, MAF and fuel pump, don't waste your money on the blower.
+1, i hope you dont think a s/c can just be bolted on and miraculously produce huge rwhp gains... a 10,000 sq ft house is no good on a liquid foundation...jmo

Vortech and Paxton are great intro level blowers, I'd reccomend minimally an upper intake, TB, MAF, FI's, Pump, AFR, Dyno Tune, and such to dial in the A/F ratio through the powerband....your money would be better spent on a h/c/i swap but thats just my opinion....and you dont want that.

[sm=signs003.gif]

2 kwik 10-23-2006 04:40 PM

ORIGINAL: samseed101

Pros: great power, many kits will include everything you will need to install, will not kill gas mileage at lower RPMS, easy to install, great sound ;), relatively inexpensive

Cons: if the engine is tired could see more issues with blowby and / or blown gaskets and seals, can run too lean if not properly tuned, doesn't play nice with platinum spark plugs, generally don't get the added HP unless over 3k RPM (KB is an exception.), won't get added power unless at WOT.
As others have stated, you can't just bolt it on without making any other changes. You will at LEAST have to add FMU and get a tune. You'd be better off with bigger fuel pump and injectors along with a tune.
are you on crack?:D