5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Ok I have $8k to spend help me spend it

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 09:06 PM
Creetan
2nd Gear Member

Default Ok I have $8k to spend help me spend it

Ok guys I have 8 grand I can spend on the stang. It is all stock except for full exhaust. The motor has 136k miles on it. I was thinking of a crate motor and suspension upgrades to put the power to the ground. Any ideas would be a great help. If you have something in mind please give me a brand name and where I can get it at. Later on I plan on getting a TT setup so if I get an engine I would like to get 1 that would be a good match for running TTs. I am clueless when it comes to suspension so could use alot of advice in that area. I was also thinking of doing the 5 lug conversion with disc brakes all around. No sense in having alot of power if u can't stop it. If I go over 8k its ok but would like it to be around 10k at the most. Unless I see something I MUST have. Lol. Thanks alot guys. Can't wait to see what you all have to say.

Forgot to mention its a 88 Mustang GT. I will also be dong the MAF conversion.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:08 PM
ooticamitica
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Ok I have $8k to spend help me spend it

trickflow street heat h/c/i combo after u do some supporting mods.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:11 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Supercharger.... an bank the rest of the $$$
Old 10-23-2006, 09:16 PM
Bumsdeclaf
1st Gear Member

i would go with a really good crate engine since u already have a couple of miles. it would help if u told us how much power u want to make. if its anything more than 500hp, then go with crate engine diffinately.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:23 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

I wouldnt bother with a crate motor... they are built for the pasification of the masses....

start with a stout shortblock and build your own... youll get better power.

and i like the turbo idea... but stay away from twins, get a single instead
Old 10-23-2006, 09:24 PM
gspfunk
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Creetan

Ok guys I have 8 grand I can spend on the stang. It is all stock except for full exhaust. The motor has 136k miles on it. I was thinking of a crate motor and suspension upgrades to put the power to the ground. Any ideas would be a great help. If you have something in mind please give me a brand name and where I can get it at. Later on I plan on getting a TT setup so if I get an engine I would like to get 1 that would be a good match for running TTs. I am clueless when it comes to suspension so could use alot of advice in that area. I was also thinking of doing the 5 lug conversion with disc brakes all around. No sense in having alot of power if u can't stop it. If I go over 8k its ok but would like it to be around 10k at the most. Unless I see something I MUST have. Lol. Thanks alot guys. Can't wait to see what you all have to say.

Forgot to mention its a 88 Mustang GT. I will also be dong the MAF conversion.
Since you have 136k, a new motor is definitely a great start. I would look at something CHP offers and some TW heads. You could just get a long block from them and it might be a little cheaper. You'll want to upgrade your suspension and chassis components and you'll most likely want a new tranny before too long. Plan it out carefully and do your research before you just start throwing $ at parts. Don't take people's word for gold, either...that's a lot of money to base on the opinion of someone you really don't know. There is some great advice to be found and doing your own research as well will help you determine what's what.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:26 PM
FordRacing302
1st Gear Member

Heres the engine you want
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Intake

Transmission

And then of course do the MAF conversion, change gears in your rear end, and then youll probably still have enough for your lug and brake conversion
Old 10-23-2006, 09:28 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AdderMk2

I wouldnt bother with a crate motor... they are built for the pasification of the masses....

There is a difference between a crate motor and a custom built engine that comes in a crate...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:36 PM
AdderMk2
Banned

ORIGINAL: randy78045

There is a difference between a crate motor and a custom built engine that comes in a crate...
yea.... one sucks, the other costs an arm and a leg

im building my own motor
Old 10-23-2006, 09:40 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

yea.... one sucks, the other costs an arm and a leg

im building my own motor
That's true, an if you can build your own that's great... in my case, i couldnt build an engine to regular specs, much less race specs... thus i chose to pay for the race experience and knowledge that went into my engine...

Quick Reply: Ok I have $8k to spend help me spend it