5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Do it myself??

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 11:00 PM
TrplWhtGT

Default Do it myself??

I'm soon going to need to replace my top on my vert. Like most of you owners, I enjoy doing my own work very much. I've been told that this is something that a "regular" do it yourselfer doesn't want to tackle. Is that true? Is this a crazy hard job or what? I know this is a difficult question to answer not knowing my ability but give me a little direction if you can. Does it need to go to the local top shop? Thx
Old 10-24-2006, 11:02 PM
2 kwik
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Do it myself??

it's just time consuming......a good top makes life easier
Old 10-24-2006, 11:04 PM
88blackgt
4th Gear Member

+1, not too hard just takes a while
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

take it too a shop, $500 bucks and its perfect and fits correct, if you make one wrong cut your screwed, also you have to have the proper tools to stretch the top so when the sun beat on it, it doesn't wrinkle! Take it in, you'll thank yourself you did!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:09 PM
TrplWhtGT

Guys, do you have to "heat" it then stretch it, or is this info from someone that doesn't know what they're talking about? That's the part i'm afraid of if so. You know, heatin' it and rippin' it!
Old 10-24-2006, 11:16 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TrplWhtGT

Guys, do you have to "heat" it then stretch it, or is this info from someone that doesn't know what they're talking about? That's the part i'm afraid of if so. You know, heatin' it and rippin' it!
If your referring to myself, your dead wrong, I went to the local Upholstry Shop, guys name is Don, he is booked out 6 months solid, no rush orders, first it first out, he's about 60 yrs old and he tells it like it is! I wanted a quote so I brought the stang down, he quoted me and I asked if i could see some of his 'vert top work, he said no prob. i'll call you next time one comes in, so this summer i went down on three different occasions and watched a lil and saw finished product on another. I was seriously impressed at how much work it takes to get a professional fit to a vert, if you dont have the right tools to tack the edges and staple to the frame, your just wasting your time! I made a deposit and appoinment right there on the spot, there are some things best left to the pro's! JMO do as you wish...
Old 10-24-2006, 11:23 PM
pony7up
2nd Gear Member

Like 7up said, save yourself the trouble and and have someone else do it ! I have a guy who did mine for $650 cash ,and it was done in two days . It also came with a five year warranty !

You are your warranty ! Do you feel lucky ?
Old 10-24-2006, 11:27 PM
BlackLX
4th Gear Member

If you're not sure if you can do something, just let someone else do it that can.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:33 PM
JD1969
Pro. B.S. caller outer

I consider myself to be an above average DIY'er and this somthing I would not want to attempt. At my work we send all our Verts out to get the tops put on.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
TrplWhtGT

Whoa friend!! Wasn't referring to you. You didn't say anything about heating it anyway. I'm on dial up and didn't see your post until after mine went up. I was just curious about the installation. I'll just get a quote from the local shop. Thanks for the help.
ORIGINAL: 7upedition

ORIGINAL: TrplWhtGT

If your referring to myself, your dead wrong, I went to the local Upholstry Shop, guys name is Don, he is booked out 6 months solid, no rush orders, first it first out, he's about 60 yrs old and he tells it like it is! I wanted a quote so I brought the stang down, he quoted me and I asked if i could see some of his 'vert top work, he said no prob. i'll call you next time one comes in, so this summer i went down on three different occasions and watched a lil and saw finished product on another. I was seriously impressed at how much work it takes to get a professional fit to a vert, if you dont have the right tools to tack the edges and staple to the frame, your just wasting your time! I made a deposit and appoinment right there on the spot, there are some things best left to the pro's! JMO do as you wish...