5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Blown gasket = H/C/I time!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 01:55 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Default Blown gasket = H/C/I time!

As some of you knew, I blew my head gasket last week. No surprise really. It was an old *** gasket and those stock ones aren't really designed to handle so much boost. So I wasn't too upset when it went. Luckily it went on the weekend that I was going to put her away for the winter anyway. So now I have to replace the head gasket. And I figured while I have everything off, I might as do a complete H/C/I swap. No sense taking the entire top end off to replace a gasket only to put the old crap back on it.

Well I've been looking at the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge top end kit from Summit racing. As you can see from the link, it's $2,200 and comes with everything I need except for the lifters. But before I drop money on this kit, I figured I would get some opinions from everyone here.

I know TF makes a kickass kit, and I love the way it looks, but I'm wondering if there are any other complete kits out there or even something I can piece together for roughly the same price (and of course less is better!) I really don't want to hit the junkyards for GT-40 heads and intakes because I would rather buy new. If I'm gonna toss something on there I don't want it to look dirty, used, and ugly. I also like the TF kit because you don't have to worry about everything not matching up properly. I wouldn't want to have an intake thats IDLE - 5500 RMP and a cam thats 1500 - 6500 RPM or anything like that.

Anyone have any ideas that won't break the bank? Oh and one more thing Is there anything else I need if I do go with that kit? I know I'll need to get some lifters. I'm also recently learned that I need an intake spacer due to clearance issues with the egr. Anything else?

Old 10-25-2006, 01:58 PM
schwindty
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Blown gasket = H/C/I time!

I have a set of heads for sale for a kick *** price:

Edelbrock Performer (Pedastal Mount, 1.9 1.67 valves, Emmisions Friendly, great condition for $800 plus shipping)
Make power from Idle to 5,500 rpm.

If you want pics let me know.

Cheers,
Old 10-25-2006, 02:01 PM
88BlueGT
6th Gear Member

Samseed... something like a track heat manifold would work well. Also, I would go with something like ported twisted wedges (or even stockers). BUT for a cam, I would DEFINETLY go with a custom grind. Reason being, the only way I would recommend a custom grind is if you are going to be done with your combination. And a H/C/I package with a pro-charger you will be basically maxing out your block. Go with a custom grind blower cam, I dont think you will regret it. Its a little more money but it would be worth it.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:02 PM
nmerrill
5th Gear Member

I love my kit, and i didnt have any problems with the EGR clearance. I dont know about on an sn-95 or the street heat though. You wont be dissappointed
Old 10-25-2006, 02:06 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

Yeah, my block is going to be maxed out after this and I'm not gonig to be adding anything else. I may even cut back on the nitrous a little just to keep it safe. I don't want to hit 500 rwhp on this block.

I was thinking more along the lines of the street heat manifold due to teh fact that it's a summertime DD. IIRC, the Street Heat is from IDLE - 5500 or so where the Track Heat is from 1500. Don't quote me on that though. Either way I figure that will be about $500 or so for an intake.

I was still debating whether or not I want to change the cam because I am NOT going to pull the engine for this. But I suppose I am going to just pull the condensor, radiator, tranny cooler, etc and squeeze it in that way.