5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

do your check engine lights go on and off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 03:07 AM
reduceallpain
2nd Gear Member

Default do your check engine lights go on and off?

I'll be cruising and my check engine lights comes on for about 2-3 seconds and goes off.. not even beatin on the car... a buddy of mine says because the stage 1 cam, and no cats on the exhaust is messing with the 02 sensor.. can this be or do you think i have a prob? Any of your cars do this?
Old 10-25-2006, 07:01 AM
Stanpower
4th Gear Member

Default RE: do your check engine lights go on and off?

Its usually the o2 sensors are acting up alittle bit it happens with mine every once it a while.If the light stays on all the time then you need to get it check otherwise dont worrie about it .That dosen't affect performance...........
Old 10-25-2006, 07:06 AM
Ninety5five0
5th Gear Member

best thing to fix a check engine like is black tape........
Old 10-25-2006, 12:19 PM
vristang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stanpower

Its usually the o2 sensors are acting up alittle bit it happens with mine every once it a while.If the light stays on all the time then you need to get it check otherwise dont worrie about it .That dosen't affect performance...........
I don't like to call people out....
but that is quite possibly the worst bit of EFI advice I have ever heard.

1 - You have NO idea why the computer is triggering the CEL. Just because your CEL has triggered for O2's, does not mean that all CEL triggers are for O2's.

2 - Because you don't know what is causing the CEL to trigger, how can you say it doesn't affect performance?
If the CEL is being triggered for MAF, ECT, ACT, BAP, etc. then it WILL affect performance.

3 - Bad O2's will DESTROY your fuel economy. It is worth fixing bad O2's.

There is a book called Ford Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Control 1988-1993 written by Probst.
This book is an excellent read. After reading it, you will have a very good understanding of what the computer uses all of the various sensors for.
The book is well written, and easily understood. This is not an engineering text; it was written for the average enthusiast.

Again, my intention is not to make anyone look 'stupid'
But there is enough confusion out there already about how EFI works. The above comments will only add to that confusion.

reduceallpain -
You need to pull your Engine Diagnostic Codes to see what the computer thinks is going on.
If you don't have a computer scanner, check out the link in my sig.

Once you get your codes pulled, come back and post them up.
I am sure someone can help you sort things out.

Good Luck,
jason
Old 10-25-2006, 12:48 PM
samseed101
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: reduceallpain

I'll be cruising and my check engine lights comes on for about 2-3 seconds and goes off.. not even beatin on the car... a buddy of mine says because the stage 1 cam, and no cats on the exhaust is messing with the 02 sensor.. can this be or do you think i have a prob? Any of your cars do this?
Having an O/R pipe shouldn't mess with the O2 sensors and trip a CEL on anything older than a 1996. However, bad O2 sensors will cause tha problem you've described. They're fairly cheap to replace and it only takes about 2 minutes each (you have two to change.) So I'd pull the codes and if that is the problem, then change them out.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:54 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

A malfunctioning EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, can and will cause a CEL to turn on and off. Vristang is right, dont guess at teh problem, get it scanned, even if its by autozone or whomever. Then you will know exactly which sensor is causing a problem.
-P.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:09 PM
7upedition
5th Gear Member

Vristang is correct! At minimum check the codes, to see whats going on! Then fix it, don't be a dummy[:'(]! Good luck
Old 10-25-2006, 02:18 PM
PJB
5th Gear Member

Mine does it because of the TPS. I scanned it and got a TPS code.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:43 PM
gr84u
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

A malfunctioning EGR (exhaust gas recirculation) valve, can and will cause a CEL to turn on and off. Vristang is right, dont guess at teh problem, get it scanned, even if its by autozone or whomever. Then you will know exactly which sensor is causing a problem.
-P.
Yep exactly what I fixed and mine went away (THE EGR VALVE), I have a hi-flow cat set-up, but I had also replaced the o2's prior.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:55 PM
shando98

Mine does it because of the TPS. I scanned it and got a TPS code.

Paul
Be sure to put cover letters on your TPS reports.

Quick Reply: do your check engine lights go on and off?